• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community
  • If you’re a healthcare professional, you can now book your spot on our Diabetes UK Professional Conference Here

Online Questionnaire: Attitudes to type 1 diabetes and glucose control

ChloeHobbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I am a final year Psychology undergraduate student at Birkbeck, University of London conducting a study that looks at the relationship between attitudes and experiences of Type 1 Diabetes, and glucose control.

The study will take 15-20 minutes to complete, and all responses are kept fully anonymous. This study has received ethical approval.

To take part, you should:

• Be diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes
  • Be aged 18 or over

The questionnaire can be accessed at: https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/ABA874D0-4D6E-434B-AF2A-1C5921C688D6

Your support is greatly appreciated.

This study has been approved by @Josh DUK

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I took your word that it had been approved, so I did it.

Harmless questions - but why on earth do you insist I have to report my latest HbA1c result using a measurement system that hasn't been used in the UK since June 2011?

ChloeHobbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I took your word that it had been approved, so I did it.

Harmless questions - but why on earth do you insist I have to report my latest HbA1c result using a measurement system that hasn't been used in the UK since June 2011?
Hello,

Yes, this study has been ethically approved. I am happy to share the certification with you should you wish to see it.

I apologise if the HbA1C measurement caused inconvenience for you. The %HbA1C is what I was introduced with in 2013 when I was diagnosed and is what I am familiar with, hence its inclusion in the experiment.

Chloe

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well clearly in Coventry we were a lot more modern than wherever you were at that time. However, I had to look my latest A1c result up online to get it in the old fashioned way you want. There are MANY members of this forum who haven't the slightest idea what you and I are discussing.

OK in 1972 it was a %age and a bit like decimalisation of money, obviously I ruddy loathed it to begin with - but you do get used to stuff - and obviously when it's your life - you do !

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the "heads up" @trophywench I will have to look up my %HbA1c conversion before I commence the questionnaire.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Done and after spending minutes trying to convert my HbA1c result into a percentage, the first page gives me my reading because my last HbA1c was 48!!

I wonder if the results will be skewed slightly because members (particularly regulars) of the forum here are perhaps more proactive in managing their diabetes and because of shared advice and information here meaning that we are less reliant on HCPs for help. I know if I didn't have the forum for support it would have changed a lot of my responses to the questions.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
.... and I would probably panic quite a bit more about my results.
Having other experienced members to bounce thoughts and ideas off and get an idea of the large range of "normal" helps to keep things in perspective.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
FWIW mine's 52/6.9 Barbara. The lowest it has ever tested at was 6.5 when I got hacked off it always being over 7 and so tested once an hour religiously, just after I packed up work. Far too many hypos and far too intense for me so I packed it up. Oh and blow me - that was when the background retinopathy appeared in my other eye.

No good came of it.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I did work hard to get 48 but there was an element of luck in it too, because I am trying equally hard now. if not harder, but things have gone haywire and Libre is showing an average of 7.9mmols for the past 7 days, so I've lost a lot of ground since October... but at least I am trying and I will make progress again, it's just that the goal posts have moved and I still haven't figured out why or how to score with them in the new position.
I had problems at this time last year but they were different. I will get back on top of things but I have to accept that I won't always be able to keep on top all the time.
I am very proud of that HbA1c though!

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Completed.

Just one query needs clarified, question about Dr, answered as in gp but don't know if that's right, don't see them much about diabetes as under consultant at hospital.

Josh DUK

Online Forum Manager
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello all,

I am a final year Psychology undergraduate student at Birkbeck, University of London conducting a study that looks at the relationship between attitudes and experiences of Type 1 Diabetes, and glucose control.

The study will take 15-20 minutes to complete, and all responses are kept fully anonymous. This study has received ethical approval.

• Be aged 18 or over

The questionnaire can be accessed at: https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/ABA874D0-4D6E-434B-AF2A-1C5921C688D6

This study has been approved. Please help if you can.

JJay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I too had a specific problem with the reference to Doctors. I almost never see a doctor about my diabetes - annual reviews are generally conducted by practice nurse, I was referred to the Community Diabetes Team (DSNs) to get the Libre, and my last interaction with a hospital consultant was 20-odd years ago!

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Completed.

Just one query needs clarified, question about Dr, answered as in gp but don't know if that's right, don't see them much about diabetes as under consultant at hospital.

I took it to mean GP too, but some of the later questions made me wonder. It wasn’t clear - well, not to me anyway.

ChloeHobbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

• Be aged 18 or over

Thank you everyone who took part in this. Recruitment is now closed. Your support is greatly appreciated.