online learning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Mimoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, this week my doctor who is still refusing to see me face to face after nearly 3 years and several large diagnoses by text message, has texted me a portal for a diabetes course. Another drive by from him. So there's the DESMOND thing (not able to book as booked until 2023) and some online low carb stuff. I spend 2 hours setting up the low carb thingy account and its some nice woman called Louise telling me to eat 130g of carb a day. I give up and will stick to Prof Roy Taylor's book and this forum for diet and Type 2 advice. That's too much carb. If I ate a whole pitta bread thats 40g of carb. Nope.

Weight: I am now plateued at 90kg but not putting it on as keeping below 50/60g of carb a day and 900 cals. any more and it goes back on..... I need to get to 85. Do I go back on the shakes diet for a month to try to shift it?

suggestions folks? or am I ok. Blood glucose between 5.9 and 7 most of the time. xxx

I'd do the training, you might pick up some useful ideas, you might not, but it's helpful to be able to say to a professional yes i've done the training i know what i'm doing with keeping my low carb diet balanced etc. Are you able to book the Desmond one for 2023 and just do the low carb one in the meantime?

Well, this week my doctor who is still refusing to see me face to face after nearly 3 years and several large diagnoses by text message, has texted me a portal for a diabetes course. Another drive by from him. So there's the DESMOND thing (not able to book as booked until 2023) and some online low carb stuff. I spend 2 hours setting up the low carb thingy account and its some nice woman called Louise telling me to eat 130g of carb a day. I give up and will stick to Prof Roy Taylor's book and this forum for diet and Type 2 advice. That's too much carb. If I ate a whole pitta bread thats 40g of carb. Nope.

Weight: I am now plateued at 90kg but not putting it on as keeping below 50/60g of carb a day and 900 cals. any more and it goes back on..... I need to get to 85. Do I go back on the shakes diet for a month to try to shift it?

suggestions folks? or am I ok. Blood glucose between 5.9 and 7 most of the time. xxx
The MyDesmond program does plug the standard NHS advice about carbs but I wouldn't worry about not being able to do it until 2023, I suspect you will be able to teach them something. I have done that one, F to F many years ago and on line 2 years ago, just modules to work through, pretty basic really. Better than nothing for many people but being on here with the experienced input you will learn more (in my opinion).

I'd do the training, you might pick up some useful ideas, you might not, but it's helpful to be able to say to a professional yes i've done the training i know what i'm doing with keeping my low carb diet balanced etc. Are you able to book the Desmond one for 2023 and just do the low carb one in the meantime?
Ref DESMOND it won't let me book anything sadly. I'll keep trying. I will ignore the NHS comedy carbs advice and stick to Professor Taylor's advice.

Glad you’ve found an approach that works for you @Mrs Mimoo

Desmond does seem to be a course that can vary somewhat from region to region and course leader to course leader.

Some people find it very helpful… others not so much.

But we have had forum members who have had a much more positive experience than yours and have found it very helpful.

Glad you’ve found an approach that works for you @Mrs Mimoo

Desmond does seem to be a course that can vary somewhat from region to region and course leader to course leader.

Some people find it very helpful… others not so much.

But we have had forum members who have had a much more positive experience than yours and have found it very helpful.
haha my experience has been not being able to get on the course!! when I get on it I'll see how it is. the online low carb is not much cop as they recommend twice as much carb as I can cope with. Also, learning styles matter and I prefer face to face as I have ADHD.

The 130g carbs a day is the failsafe option because the brain likes the amount of glucose produced by 130g of carbs. So eating 130g is the easiest way of ensuring the brain gets the high octane fuel it likes. It can work on ketones but doesn't really like them. If one lay still on a bed all day the body would need 1300 calories
just to tick over. What about a regime like Slimfast ? Taylor used the Cambridge Diet in his experiments. That's been around for decades. I used it in 1987 to lose 2 stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back