Online Diabetes training courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathyFP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I have been trying to access an online Type 1 training course ‘DAFNE’ or ‘BERTIE’ but none of the links nor the NHS ID login process work? Has anyone had any success with this? Are the courses helpful? I am a recently diagnosed Type 1 (LADA) diabetic and I need help with carb counting and getting the right Insulin doses. At the moment it is pretty random whether I get the dose for a meal right or end up with high or low blood glucose. It’s really frustrating having all this info on line about courses but not being able to access them! Help

A very quick Google search showed the Bertie course has been changed to Know Diabetes - https://www.knowdiabetes.org.uk
I am not aware of any other online equivalent of DAFNE which is usually face to face.
If you are newly diagnosed, my advice would be to not expect perfection or even the same results every time. It is not possible as there is much much more than carbs which affect your BG. Hopefully, you can get to Know Diabetes and learn more but, in the meantime, be kind to yourself and accept some randomness. After 20 years, I still get some of it and I am not dealing with the honeymoon period where your pancreas maybe occasionally (and randomly) coming back to life for a short spurt.

Edited to add, I just tried the link to Visit Bertie from the Know Diabetes website and it did not work for me but I was able to get further (although I did not go all through the login stuff so don’t know how far you can get) if I clicked My Account in the top right of the page.

How do you feel about reading a book? Think like a pancreas is often referenced as educational for starting to manage Type 1 diabetes.

Last edited:
Hi. I've used Bertie and did find it very useful.

Hi. I've used Bertie and did find it very useful.
I’m doing Bertie online. Some of the information is very helpful. Some of it is positively scary and some very basic. I’m sure it would be a lot better face to face.

Can anyone do the Bertie course online or do you have to be referred first? I was offered a course, quite possibly the bertie one, but i declined due to really bad anxiety going places and there was no way i could sit within a group of people, my anxiety wouldn't allow it. Instead my endo referred me to a dietician, which was months ago and i've done that. I think this might be very helpful for me if i can do it online at my own pace 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back