One Year Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
One year ago today, I was meeting up with my Dad and sister in London and only got as far as Paddington station where I had to ask for help when I 'came over all funny'.

An ambulance was called and my BG was in the 20's, ketones were present and I was admitted to St Mary's Hospital where I was diagnosed type 2. They also identified a problem with my liver (non-alcoholic induced fatty liver). Basically, I was in a bit of a mess physically!

At that time I weighed 17st 10lbs and that highlighted another problem because the last time I'd weighed myself I was nearer 19st. I was losing weight hand over fist and was not even aware of it. No wonder I was feeling pretty grotty.

I was released from hospital on the 20th and made changes to my lifestyle there and then. I set myself a target weight and decided on a weekly loss of 0.9lbs. This seems a bit of a random rate, but was set after a couple of months when I looked at how much weight I'd lost over that time. So I knew that it was achievable. I didn't want to set something like 3lbs per week which would have been impossible for me. I would have lost heart very quickly!

I started to exercise every day, but it was difficult at first. Often, on the way back home, I felt weak and light headed. I think it was the false hypo symptoms kicking in. But over time those feelings receded. I bought myself a rowing machine and slowly built up the sessions from just doing 1km (4-5mins) to doing 10min sessions, then 3 10min sessions separated with a rest, 30min sessions up to my more recent 10km sessions (~36mins). I've even tried a 1hr session (but that was too boring!).

My diet has completely changed too. Before diagnosis I frequently missed meals and when I did eat it was usually a huge plateful of all the 'wrong' things. Now, I regularly eat three meals a day and usually incorporate more than 5 portions of fruit and veg every day. The size of the meals has also been reduced.

Now before anyone thinks that I'm a saint (You didn't? Oh, all right then! 😉), I have had times when I've eaten the wrong thing or over-indulged (e.g. the time when I ate three bowls of fruit and fibre cereal and had a bg reading of 19!). But what I didn't do is beat myself up about it. I just put it behind me and got back to the job of getting myself sorted.

Pretty quickly, it became apparent that my glucose levels levelling out and at the start of February, with the agreement of my GP, I stopped taking the metformin and haven't taken it since. The weight loss was crucial in achieving that. Anyway, as of two days ago, I reached my target weight and have now set my final target.

<Note that metformin does have a useful side-effect in that it can protect against heart disease. Something that diabetics can be more prone too. So stopping taking it, has to be balanced against that.>

The weight loss has also meant that my liver problem has been largely 'reversed'. The indicators in my blood/urine (can't remember off-hand which one!) have disappeared. I've another ultra-sound scan coming up soon which will hopefully show that an obvious physical improvement has been made.

So, to summarise (At Diagnosis --> Now) ....

HbA1c : 13.3 --> 5.9
Weight : 17st 10lbs --> 14st 2lbs
Blood Pressure : 140/85 --> 124/80
Resting Heart Rate : >80 --> <60
Cholesterol : (I won't mention that 🙄)
How I feel : Rubbish --> Almost Brilliant

So, thanks to everyone here who has supported me and made me feel welcome. There are three people especially who I'd like to mention by name, Northerner, Steffie and Lucy123. You've all helped me turn myself around!

Andy 🙂

Last edited:
Andy, thank you for posting your story. You've made a fantastic improvement over the past year and are a great example of how a diagnosis of diabetes can actually be a spur to becoming a much healthier person 🙂 I'm sure your story will help many others, and that your approach to correcting and managing your diabetes will show people who are struggling or newly-diagnosed just how it can be achieved - with patience and determination.

Well done my friend, and I'd also like to add my thanks for all the great support and (sometimes questionable 🙂) humour you have brought to us all here! Thank you, and well done! :D

Andy a huge well done what an honest story, you have come on leaps and bounds since 1 year ago, and you dont seem to be dwelling to much, i never knew how to react when it was my first anniversary in february i had a choice either sit there and wallow or get on with it and realise all the good thats come from my diagnosis..Aside from that you would never of "met" all of us on this forum, not that im saying well you know what i mean x

Andy, I found that story very encouraging. Thanks for that. Like many people, I feel that diagnosis can be the kick up the ...., that we all need sometimes, to open our eyes to what can happen if we don't take care of ourselves. It was certainly so for me, and since June, as well as losing over 2 stones by a change in diet & lifestyle, I have felt healthier than I have for a long time.

So take note, all who become despondant with diabetes, it CAN be conquered.🙂

Brian

Hi Andy..just drying a little tear away - what a lovely inspiring story.
You have worked so hard to get the results and have done this in a sensible way. You have supported me immensely lately too - teaching me not to panic and worry when I fall off the diet.

I know you will reach your final target with the enthusiasm and humour(??cough cough) that has got you to where you are so far.

All the best matey.

I just want to congratulate you on taking things so seriously and improving yourself so much!! You're quite inspirational!! I hope you continue to strive to your goal ... however i think you've done fantastically already!! Thanks for sharing!! XxXxX

andy you are great !!! well done and i want all those oversizes men clothes in shop !!!!🙂 you star xx

WOW Andy, what an inspiring story. Thank you very much for sharing it with us 🙂. You have done amazingly well over the last year since diagnosis. Thank you for all your inspiration 🙂

That's brilliant Andy! 🙂 Thanks for sharing that, it's so encouraging! You're doing really well & must be an inspiration for anyone in a similar situation!

Twitchy xx

Hi Andy what an inspiring message thank you so much for sharing it with us. I hope I will be in a similar situation to you on my one year annivesary.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back