1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

One week in

Discussion in 'Newbies say hello here!' started by Jasper, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Jasper

Jasper Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Got a diagnosis last Monday I which I kinda guessed as I had spotted symptoms and bought a glucose meter. Doctor was out of the traps quickly: meds, bloods within an hour, eye test booked, and invitation to workshops offered. Gotta love the NHS.

Bit annoyd with myself as I was warned 12 months ago and thought giving up all alcohol would be enough to fend it off. Obviously not.

Have had a week watching fasting glucose levels and reading the backs of packets. Part of that week I was away on a business trip overseas, so not easy checking stuff in Swedish railway stations and airports (mainly rolls and sandwiches on offer).

Good news is I have lost 2kg this week, and if I am honest I have been putting off the lifestyle change required for when I retire next year, so this just brings it forward.

2. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello there, and welcome to the forum.
    At least you are reading the back of the packets - are you counting up the carbs?
    Many type twos have said that the fasting glucose is the last one to respond, so you might see changes after meals which will be more informative, and rewarding of your efforts.

3. Greymouser

Greymouser Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Yes, welcome to the forum Jasper. :)

Out of curiosity, what are your HbAIc readings now? Whatever they are, it can be sorted so stay positive.

4. CathyB

CathyB Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi Jasper, welcome. It is the carbs you need to reduce, especially bread, potatoes, rice and pasta as our body uses them the same as the obvious sugars. Well done on taking control and on your weight loss so far :D

5. Jasper

Jasper Member

Type 2
    I dont know yet. Results went to the doctor who went on holiday. I am booked Oct 8th.

6. karloc

karloc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I just emailed my doctors and got them me to email me the test results.

And Welcome and good luck with the changes.:)

7. Ditto

Ditto Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

8. Jasper

Jasper Member

Type 2
    Yes I should ask for the bloos test results emailed.

Week 2. Lost 3.5kg in two weeks. BG steady fasting and 2 hours poist eating between 6 and 7. Spent £46 on fruit and veg at Aldi. You can't get another blueberry in my fridge! X-Pert couse starts Tuesday evening (bit of a break then resumes weekly in November). I am actually really enjoying the diet, it is what i should have been eating all these years. Moved the exercise bike to my bedroom to get some exercise whenthe weather is poor (as it was today).

mikeyB, DebbieC and Ditto like this.
  9. karloc

karloc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Well done, looks like its going well. Keep up the good work! :)

Personally I went for massive carbs reduction and got off the medication after 1 week. But we should all do what we believe in order to stick to changes.

DebbieC and Ditto like this.
  10. Jasper

Jasper Member

Type 2
    Finally got my Hba1c result (49). My weight has droped to 91kg from 97kg and my trousers are falling down. I had an unusual spike in BG yesterday morning. BG had settled 6-7 fasting). Woke feeling really groggy, BG was back to 12. Not sure if it wa sthe disturbed sleep (my wife is ill) or if I had overdone the stir fry sauce . Back on the broccoli for me! My doctor has gone quiet (should have called on Tuesday to discuss blood results but didnt).

11. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Type 2
    49 is only just over the threshold for diabetes so you have a good chance of turning things around if you do all the right things. We'll done on getting your weight down. I've been through the trousers falling down bit too. Kept having to make extra holes in my belt. Eventually bought new trousers (34" waist instead of 36") and a new belt .

Martin

12. karloc

karloc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Well done on the weight loss.
    oops on the high BG, its so easy to get less careful

I am also having trousers falling down - but I am telling my kids its cool to have your trousers half way down your bum, they just roll their eyes at me :D

CathyB likes this.
  13. Eddy Edson

Eddy Edson Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I tried that line. Didn't work for me either :)

karloc likes this.
  14. Jane16

Jane16 Active Member

Type 2
    Hi there

I am newly diagnosed too, got the news on Monday, just started on metformin and changed my diet had a feeling this was happening a few weeks ago when I had a blood test for something else and the blood glucose was high so had already started cutting out the sugar, working on the carbs now. Sounds like you are doing well and I hope it all comes right for you.
    Stick at it
    Jane x

Lizzzie and Ditto like this.
  15. Jasper

Jasper Member

Type 2
    No weight loss this week, and have been incredibly tired after lunch.T'interweb suggests that very low carb diet can produce these energy dips after food. Greek yoghusrt and I are becoming big friends, along with avocado.

Jane16, rebrascora and CathyB like this.
  16. Jane16

Jane16 Active Member

Type 2
    keep at it, my new friend greek yoghurt too :) x

17. Lizzzie

Lizzzie Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hello Jane and Jasper!

Ive nothing useful to say, just a quick cheer from the sidelines to new types twos jumping into a new lifestyle.

Yaaaaaay! Go you! It sounds tough. (It is tough. You're doing it).