One of those hypos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...where it's suddenly *really* important to spend 5 mins faffing around looking for my diary to write the result down in before actually doing the test...

Muppet.

Result was 2.2 btw. Bring on the jelly babies :D

I've had a few of those! Most of my hypos these days seem to be the 'stealth' type, where I feel a bit odd, but only get real symptoms when I finally decide to test and see the number! 😱

...where it's suddenly *really* important to spend 5 mins faffing around looking for my diary to write the result down in before actually doing the test...

Muppet.

Result was 2.2 btw. Bring on the jelly babies :D

It' strange that, I occasionally have similar moments where other things are more important than treating the hypo straight away. Like Northerner, I seem to find it necessary to test even though I am sweating and shaking and know too well I am hypo:confused: Toby.

Isn't it odd? I wonder why this happens. I get the urge to suddenly clean windows or turn out the cupboards or something and often find myself insisting that I tidy up before eating anything. Crazy behaviour.

Isn't it odd? I wonder why this happens. I get the urge to suddenly clean windows or turn out the cupboards or something and often find myself insisting that I tidy up before eating anything. Crazy behaviour.

I once tried to finish filling out a form, despite the fact I couldn't see it properly and couldn't write. When I tested I was 1.9! 😱

I once tried to finish filling out a form, despite the fact I couldn't see it properly and couldn't write. When I tested I was 1.9! 😱

I tried to get ready to walk to the shop and buy some sweets, couldnt get shoes on or find coat. Finally thought this is odd and tested, then gluco tab.

Crazy!

x

It is when you are behaving like a fool and you are not hypo that it is time to worry. 😉 I too tend to rely on a BG reading before accepting I need the jelly babies.

I do sometimes wonder these days how I used to cope in the first few years after I was first diagnosed and I did not have a meter (because both the meters and the strips were expensive) and then even when I did eventually get one the process involved a lot more pfaffing about before you got a reading - it used to take over a minute for the meter to calculate the reading and if I remember correctly you used to have to drop the blood onto the strip and then put the strip into the machine, not the easiest thing to do at the best of times let alone when you were hypo. Some things have definitely improved for the better.

It is when you are behaving like a fool and you are not hypo that it is time to worry. 😉 I too tend to rely on a BG reading before accepting I need the jelly babies.

I do sometimes wonder these days how I used to cope in the first few years after I was first diagnosed and I did not have a meter (because both the meters and the strips were expensive) and then even when I did eventually get one the process involved a lot more pfaffing about before you got a reading - it used to take over a minute for the meter to calculate the reading and if I remember correctly you used to have to drop the blood onto the strip and then put the strip into the machine, not the easiest thing to do at the best of times let alone when you were hypo. Some things have definitely improved for the better.

The meter your referring too rossoneri brings back memories. First you would switch it on, then use the guillotine lancing device to draw some blood and place on the test strip, after which you would press the 1 minute counter button on the meter and when it counted to around 55 seconds it would bleep to tell you to wipe the blood from the strip with cotton wool, then you would insert the strip in the meter and wait for the meter to reach the 2 minute mark before a result was visible. It does seems rather primitive now, but the meter was like a breath of fresh air having previously used the Clinitest Kit which measured the glucose in the urine. Toby.

You had a meter? When I was first diagnosed back in 1989 I had BM sticks that were like diastix or ketone sticks and the finger pricker that the NHS gave to a 9 year was not that nicw looking. It was a lance type thing that swung unguarded in an arc and was real hard to use. Thank god for Boots doing something similar to what we use today!

The sticks used to take to 2 minutes (1 min with blood on the stick then wiped off then left for another minute) to give you a reading which you had to find by a colour chart.

Marc

The sticks used to take to 2 minutes (1 min with blood on the stick then wiped off then left for another minute) to give you a reading which you had to find by a colour chart.

Ah... happy days!

Especially when the blue half looked like 10.x and the brown half looked like 3.x 🙂

You had a meter? When I was first diagnosed back in 1989 I had BM sticks that were like diastix or ketone sticks and the finger pricker that the NHS gave to a 9 year was not that nicw looking. It was a lance type thing that swung unguarded in an arc and was real hard to use. Thank god for Boots doing something similar to what we use today!...Marc

Like this? 😱

worst_lancet_device.jpg

Oh Northerner 😱, there are certain objects that you definitely do not want to be reminded of on a Saturday morning!!

Memo to self to stop reminiscing about joys of the 'good old days' and then returning to the same thread in the cold light of the next morning! 😎

That's the guillotine device I was talking about Northerner!🙂 There was no depth control and the lancets hurt like hell, no wonder people were reluctant to test back then, the developments that have taken place over recent decades truly have been most welcome. Toby.

That's the guillotine device I was talking about Northerner!🙂 There was no depth control and the lancets hurt like hell, no wonder people were reluctant to test back then, the developments that have taken place over recent decades truly have been most welcome. Toby.

Indeed! Even the modern ones they use in hospitals hurt a lot more than my multiclix 😱 I wonder if the designer of this contraption ever tried it on him/herself? Looks very savage and unnecessary!

I wonder if the designer of this contraption ever tried it on him/herself? Looks very savage and unnecessary!

The simple answer to that one is NO! My multiclix device (accu-chek nano) is so smooth and pain free I don't even know I have penetrated the skin sometimes, by far the best meter and lancing device I have had to date. Toby.

Like this? 😱

worst_lancet_device.jpg

Yes that's the one I started off with!! My Grandad bought me a meter but that was many years after diagnosis and they were quite expensive. I used to carry a tile (from our bathroom) around with me to use to put the strip on whilst I wiped the blood off it before putting it in the meter. We don't know we're born today!!

God I remember those horrific finger prickers! That was the first one I was given after diagnosis, by the hospital - they thought it was all singing and all dancing, since I didn't have to do urine tests. We also had all the kit for that too, it was like chemistry experiements! lol

How times change - and thank goodness for it!

God I remember those horrific finger prickers! That was the first one I was given after diagnosis, by the hospital - they thought it was all singing and all dancing, since I didn't have to do urine tests. We also had all the kit for that too, it was like chemistry experiements! lol

How times change - and thank goodness for it!

See what you started Cate! Apologies for the severe thread drift and scary object! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back