One of those evenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Sorry to have a whinge and a rant but this evening the d is really getting to me. I say this evening - it's gone midnight.

I just really need to get it off my chest and I know you guys understand. I am just so frustrated by the total lack of patterns or trends I'm getting, leaving me unable to make any proper changes. I feel like I'm losing grip of things. I had awesome levels for a few days, now I can't get a hold of them.

I'm in the middle of having a good cry. I don't have these moments often - sadly enough I've worked out I have a diabetes breakdown about twice a year. I just get so sick of dealing with the ridiculous stuff it can throw at us, the way it can defy all logic.

I'm trying to get my pathetic case together for a pump, so I attempted to basal test this evening. Ate at 5, insulin tends to linger for about 5 hours in my system. Took my basal at 10.30ish (I was at 7.0 at 10pm) - lo and behold, at midnight, I'm down to 3.8. I noticed this morning that 1.5 hours after taking my basal I hypo'd, something I have NEVER done before. I'm frustrated that the basal test went to pot, that I hypo'd, that I seem to have a new pattern of hypoing after basal...

I'm jus so frustrated/annoyed. I can cope with this stupid thing on a day to day basis, just every now and again it really gets on top of me. I just want a day off from it to be honest :(

Shiv x

Last edited:
I hope you feel better soon. I can't comment on how basal works as I'm on pills, but I'm giving this a little push to the top. Someone else should be along soon with some suggestions.

One of the things I have learned is this thing we have is not an exact science and anything can happen.

Have a good bawl, it is amazing the benefit of a good bawl, it works wonders. It helps to be able to tell others how we are feeling too. I'm sending virtual big hugs to help you feel better.

Shiv
(Im presuming the basal is the long acting? i always get them mixed up..)
But anyways, my long acting (Lantus) insulin has a peak, despite one of the nurses at the hospital telling me not to be stupid when i told her.
I would take it at 10.pm before bed, and around 2ish id wake up with really bad hypos. 1's and 2's mostly.

Try doing your basal test for a week, see what the results are. it may have just been an annoying blip.

Hi Shiv, it's not surprising you get totally fed up with it on occasions, you've had to deal with it in one way or another for as long as you can remember. :(

I wonder if the changing weather has had an influence? I was looking back through my numbers, and it's very clear that my basal used to be way too high, plus I used to get peaks (lantus). I now take more novorapid relative to before, but much less lantus. I reduced my basal by around 10% every two or three days until I was no longer waking in the 3s and lower 4s. Recently, I've had to start increasing the lantus again and think it may be due partly to the stonkingly hot weather over the past few days.

I hope that things settle down soon, good luck with your pump quest 🙂

Not being a T1 I don't know if this would have any relevance, but have you thought of changing the time of your basal injections, I do 7am ish and 7pm ish.
At the moment I am reducing my insulin, maybe the weather or the change of diet (thought the warm weather was supposed to make the insulin work better) but I guess we are all different.

Not being a T1 I don't know if this would have any relevance, but have you thought of changing the time of your basal injections, I do 7am ish and 7pm ish.

Thankyou for the suggestion, but! I've already moved it from PM to AM, and now I'm splitting it 13u AM, 12u PM. Which just adds to the frustration!

Shiv,
What is it that your using? Levimeir or lantus?

Have you tried having all your lantus during the day time?

I have mine at 11ish, and just dropped my ratio for dinner as the lantus and nova rapid peak at the same sort of time.

On the plus side, if you having erratic readings, doesnt that strenghen your case to get a pump? (or am i way off?)

Have you tried having all your lantus during the day time?

I have mine at 11ish, and just dropped my ratio for dinner as the lantus and nova rapid peak at the same sort of time.

On the plus side, if you having erratic readings, doesnt that strenghen your case to get a pump? (or am i way off?)

I generally take it at 10am/10pm, or thereabouts. I find that I tend to actually go slightly higher in the afternoons - not hugely, but enough to put me out of range.

I'm totally baffled by my sudden hypos after the lantus - never in all the years I've been on lantus has this happened. And then twice in a row! I haven't had it today, which is great, but that might be because I'm sick (I'm hoping yesterday was just a blip though).

Let's hope this helps with my plea for a pump. Terrible to say it really isn't it? Let's hope the bad levels I'm getting help me? Ehhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back