One in five older Americans take medications that work against each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
About three out of four older Americans have multiple chronic health conditions, and more than 20 percent of them are being treated with drugs that work at odds with each other -- the medication being used for one condition can actually make the other condition worse. Direct competition between medications is just one of the concerns, the report noted. Use of multiple medications can also lead to increased numbers of falls and delirium, dizziness, fatigue and anorexia.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140313154220.htm

Do you think that happens here ?, or are our drs more on the ball at checking these things before prescribing drugs ?

Do you think that happens here ?, or are our drs more on the ball at checking these things before prescribing drugs ?

Given the lack of knowledge that some doctors appear to have about the problems they purport to treat, it wouldn't surprise me at all. It's worth getting a pharmacist to go though your medications as they tend to be more up to date on medicines

I have more faith in UK prescribers and pharmacists than the US system, partly because of funding - doctors in USA get paid by insurance companies for doing more, while in UK, incentive is to prescribe less.

Also, BNF (British National Formulary) is a very helpful reference, whether as a book or website, designed by and for both prescribers (mainly doctors, but also nurses, midwives, physiotherapists etc for some groups of items) AND pharmacists who check before items are dispensed.

That's not to be complacent, nor claim that mistakes never occur in UK, just that I believe over prescribing / inappropriate co-prescribing to be less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back