One in Every Three People with Type 1 Diabetes Produces Insulin Years Post-Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
About one-third of people with type 1 diabetes (T1D) produce insulin, as measured by C-peptide, a byproduct of insulin production, even upward of forty years from initial diagnosis, according to a first-of-its-kind, large-scale study conducted by researchers from T1D Exchange. This sheds new light on the long-accepted belief that these patients lose all ability to produce any insulin; this could have significant policy implications, said researchers from T1D Exchange, whose Clinic Network involves a national consortium of diabetes centers. The findings were published online this week in Diabetes Care.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/on...iabetes-produces-insulin-years-post-diagnosis

Six years behind the bell for me! 🙂 (Python fans will understand that 🙂)

Richard 157 told us all that about 3 years ago when he reported his latest visit to Joslin on the Golden Oldies programme. He doesn't produce any though so that shot my theory of 'I wonder if I do, which is why I haven't got complications', to pieces LOL

Interesting! My consultant was talking about this research last time I saw him, and he said that the current theory is that the older you were at diagnosis the more endogenous insulin production remains. He was talking about research showing stress as a strong causal factor in late bloomers and viruses in the early bloomers, and something to do with young immune systems being much stronger coz they're new and thus more effective at destruction than an older immune system.

Interesting! My consultant was talking about this research last time I saw him, and he said that the current theory is that the older you were at diagnosis the more endogenous insulin production remains. He was talking about research showing stress as a strong causal factor in late bloomers and viruses in the early bloomers, and something to do with young immune systems being much stronger coz they're new and thus more effective at destruction than an older immune system.

Well, I had a bit of a double whammy I think. I was 49 at diagnosis, around 18 months after I quit my job. Stress played a large role in the decision to quit. With hindsight, I realise that I had quite pronounced symptoms a few months before that, chiefly excessive thirst - I always came back from the coffee machine with a coffee and two cups of water. Some of the other symptoms I put down to stress and age. I gradually lost weight over the months following, around 25 pounds, even though I wasn't overweight. Eventually, I caught a stomach virus that sent me into DKA. As I very rarely get stomach bugs I could possibly have continued for some time without really acknowledging symptoms.

I've noticed that, from reading a lot of people's experiences, the younger a person is, the faster the symptoms become critical, so that would tie in.

I still produce insulin, and it will be 50 years on insulin for me in a couple of months.

I still produce insulin, and it will be 50 years on insulin for me in a couple of months.

Fifty years, you should give the pancreas a treat for such stoic effort 🙂. I doubt I'll reach the fifty year mark but if I do Patty will get a cake and a glass of champers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back