One for the nutritionists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Right, ive finally given up on wholemeal bread, i dont like the taste and thats it! so what now? can anyone tell me what is more nutricious or diabetic friendly 50/50 best of both bread, which i CAN stomach, or granary?
any answers much appreciated!:confused:

Right, ive finally given up on wholemeal bread, i dont like the taste and thats it! so what now? can anyone tell me what is more nutricious or diabetic friendly 50/50 best of both bread, which i CAN stomach, or granary?
any answers much appreciated!:confused:

Hi Jeff I was told to avoid the best of both breads by my dietician. Have you tried the seeded breads that are out there at the moment. Granary is good too.

Hi Jeff I was also told to stay away from best of both bread, have your tryed the hovis granary in the blue packaging it i really nice , i have totally cut myself off from white bread and wholemeal and switched straight over to this bread and it is delicious i have turned the whole family onto thiis bread as well.

Yeah I do granary as well. White is a big no no for me (although I do allow myself the odd treat) and wholemeal is a no-no as I think it tastes like cardboard.....

I stopped eating white bread a while ago and switched to granary too, much better for you and tasty too.

I'd say granary is better for you too, and those seeded thingys.
Although I keep a loaf of 50/50 in freezer for emergency toast!

You are doing a great job. Advice varies on the subject of bread. i was told 50/50 bread was OK. Since you are doing so well on other things try the white bread for a while and see what kind of a difference it makes to your levels and maybe look round for something else you will like.

Granary and seeded bread is best as it makes it a lower GI so helps with levels better. We have Soya and Linseed bread which is delicious. However there is nothing wrong with 50/50 if what you really want is white. White bread is like sugar, the way it reacts so that really is out the question. I don't like brown bread either, ugh but I love granary and seeded.

I Love Granury bread...No white bread for me! :D

Hmm...Ciabatta bread, does that count as white bread?

I Love Granury bread...No white bread for me! :D

Hmm...Ciabatta bread, does that count as white bread?

Ciabatta - mmmmmm unfortunately the very high fat content in that is a nightmare for insulin users. Not sure what it would do for non insulin users. The fat just delays absorption so it may act like a low GI food perhaps.

Trial and error Ellowyne so give it a try. What works for one doesn't always work for others. You may be lucky. 🙂

Ciabatta has a high Glycaemic Load (GL) of 24 - anything with a GL over 20 is considered high GL. :(

GL and GI are different though aren't they so what is the GI of ciabatta?

White bread is 100 and everything is measured against that.

Aside from the GI though, the fat in the ciabatta is much higher than bread so in theory the digestion should be slower.

How can bread sound sooo confusing:confused: I daren't ask anything about anything, thanks for the knowledge though peeps, I'll stick in my bubble of not reading not knowing and trying to wing it!😛
Just had crumpets! Would like to know about them...but cracked open a beer and off to sit in evening sun, I'll test later 🙄

Cheers

Rossi😉

GL and GI are different though aren't they so what is the GI of ciabatta?

White bread is 100 and everything is measured against that.

Aside from the GI though, the fat in the ciabatta is much higher than bread so in theory the digestion should be slower.

When I have Ciabatta with Pasta...the weird thing is, my sugars are 'lower' with a couple of slices of Ciabatta and pasta , in comparison to what they rise to with, maybe 2 Potatoes!...My DSN say's that most are the other way around...Most Diabetics get higher levels with Pasta.

I had Cous Cous and Chicken today....with 1 slice of Granury bread! 🙄

How can bread sound sooo confusing:confused: I daren't ask anything about anything, thanks for the knowledge though peeps, I'll stick in my bubble of not reading not knowing and trying to wing it!
Just had crumpets! Would like to know about them...but cracked open a beer and off to sit in evening sun, I'll test later 🙄

Cheers

Rossi😉

Love Crumpets!!!...Have'nt had thoses for ages! Lovely with a cuppa...or a beer! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back