One for the ladies - periods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryg12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi ladies

Hope someone can help. I am getting married in August and obviously I do not want my period to ruin my wedding/honeymoon. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do?

I know that by taking the combined pill without a break you can stop a period but I also know that diabetics are not meant to take the combined pill. Has anyone ever taken it temporarily? I'm in good health and my control is great - do you think my GP would prescribe it for a couple of months?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S x

Hi ladies

Hope someone can help. I am getting married in August and obviously I do not want my period to ruin my wedding/honeymoon. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do?

I know that by taking the combined pill without a break you can stop a period but I also know that diabetics are not meant to take the combined pill. Has anyone ever taken it temporarily? I'm in good health and my control is great - do you think my GP would prescribe it for a couple of months?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S x
Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding, I would go and have a word with your doctor or family planning clinic. Happy honeymoon sheena

Thanks Sheena. I did speak to the practice nurse at my GP surgery and she said that the progesterone only pill would stop my periods and that I should get my GP to prescribe that a couple of months before the wedding but I know it won't work! I've been on it before and its not reliable, it can make periods irregular. I just googled it to check and it definitely isn't 100% certain to stop a period. I guess I'd better speak to the diabetes nurse. Just wondered if anyone else had been in same situation.

Thanks Sheena. I did speak to the practice nurse at my GP surgery and she said that the progesterone only pill would stop my periods and that I should get my GP to prescribe that a couple of months before the wedding but I know it won't work! I've been on it before and its not reliable, it can make periods irregular. I just googled it to check and it definitely isn't 100% certain to stop a period. I guess I'd better speak to the diabetes nurse. Just wondered if anyone else had been in same situation.

I never knew diabetic werent supposed to be on the combined pill. I was on it for 5 years in total with diagnosis in the middle of the years. Then went on the injection now not taking anything as i want a family. I have so luttle faith in my docs anyway and thankfully he has just retiered so lets hope the next one is better

Way back in the day I just went on taking the pill, but I wasn't diabetic then, and as you say it's not a good thing if you are. I can't think of any other option, unless you're lucky enough to be regular and can set the date for your big day accordingly.

Definitely worth speaking to a doctor with a special interest in contraception, whether at your GP surgery or family planning clinic. Implants are becoming more popular for contraception and some can prevent periods.

Hey there

I'm on the progesterone only pill (which for me has pretty much stopped my periods, but everyone's different! 🙂)

When I went on it, the nurse went through all the different options with me, and said that some diabetics *can* take the combined pill. There are some that can't, and there's a checklist. I think it's mainly people who have complications, or those that have been diabetic for more than 20 years (which is the one that ruled me out), so I'd say it's definitely worth investigating a bit more. 🙂

I take cerazette - was told it was a combined something or other :confused: but ok for diabetics

er, wtf. i was put on microgynon when i was 17. i just googled it and it's combined? why would my doctor have put me on it if i'm not supposed to be on a combined one?

i take my pill constantly with a break every few months. i have premenstrual dysphoric disorder...basically, i used to get extremely suicidal/depressed every time i had my period. it was totally ruining my life, so she put me on microgynon and told me to take a break every few months.

I have been on microgynon for many years whilst diabetic and that is a combined pill. I took 2 packs straight through when I was going on a trekking holiday, and it worked fine. The thought of outdoor squat toilets and a period was not worth considering.

Thanks everyone - feel a bit better knowing there's a possibility they might put me on a combined pill 🙂

Shiv, I believe the guidelines are the combined pill is ok for diabetics if you're below 25 - above that they consider the risk of blood clots too high so you're recommended a progesterone only one.

I'm on cerazette too, after a couple of months I have had no periods at all, so maybe if you start taking it now you're be sorted by the time of your wedding?

I always use norethisterone tablets when I go on holiday, you start taking them a couple of days before you go and then take 3 tablets a day until you get back and are ready to have a period again. They work well for stopping period but they are not a contraceptive. Maybe these would be sutiable for you?

Hi

Just wanted to wish you luck for your wedding day I hope you have a lovely honeymoon too. I was told a year ago I wasn't allowed to take my microgynon anymore by a doctor because I was diabetic - they did mention it when I was diagnosed that I might be told to come off it at some point. xx

Hey there! Yes, congratulations! I've had the 3-monthly injections and then the implant. Both stopped my periods, but I bled very heavily with the first period after starting the injections, before my periods stopped.

Warning though - the injections stopped my periods and they never came back, and I've been wanting to try for a baby for ages now, but apparently it's not unusual for periods to go long-term awol after the injections. GP never told me about this, so a bit frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back