One for the guys(ages 40-65)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When going in to drop off a script my other half was called back by the receptionist and she said your doctor is doing these tests on men ages 40.65 would you like to partake so he agreed and a week later which was tuesday and his birthday i might add he goes bounding down t the surgery and has to wait in thie busy waiting room after 1hr he gets called in and has blood tests taken from both arms the nurse said one of the things we check is your glucose levels for diabetes, I was wondering if any of you men who fit the age bracket have heard of any other similier thing in your area?? obviously it is for non diabetics so maybe the partner of a non diabetic has had something similier

We are lucky if we can get an appointment, let alone tests to reassure us nothing is really wrong.

At the other end of the scale, grown up son keeps being sent chlamydia test kits...

I watched a programme on channel 4 a while ago and they went to Newcastle, pretty sure they said men there are the most likely to get type 2 diabetes because of the average waist size (or something), so it's good they are testing randomly!

All my checks are related to diabetes. Although they run Well Woman clinics and have a Women's Health section on the web there seems no equivalent for men. A few years ago three people I knew died with prostate cancer being the main contribuatory factor. I therefore felt in need of a bit of reassurance. After getting nowhere with a request for a PSA blood test I went privately.

All my checks are related to diabetes. Although they run Well Woman clinics and have a Women's Health section on the web there seems no equivalent for men. A few years ago three people I knew died with prostate cancer being the main contribuatory factor. I therefore felt in need of a bit of reassurance. After getting nowhere with a request for a PSA blood test I went privately.

That;s interesting - in the early days since my diagnosis I was worried about my waterworks and the consultant just added the psa test to his list (came back fine).

I've never been called in fr any checks by my GP in 10 years - I've always initiated the appointments myself. Knowing my surgery, they probably do have a men's health programme, but it's dependent on you being in the surgery when they advertise it that day...🙄

They do a men's health thing here too - just my hubby prefers to ignore it so he can eat, drink and smoke himself to an early death.🙄

My diabetes was detected by annual well man screening - fortunately early enough so I can still control it via diet and exercise.

Richard

I think my surgery does a well man clinic.

I just found out our doctors surgery does a well man clinic too, at the same time as the well woman and slimming clinics. Made me wonder a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back