On Track for Remission - 6 months on from diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I was diagnosed 6 months ago and told to control my diabetes without meds, I anxiously searched this forum to see how others were able to successfully control their diabetes. I though I'd post this to help encourage anyone looking for the same kind of
info as I was myself.

Just got my second hba1c result - 6 months on from diagnosis. It is 38.

This is my journey so far with diet and exercise only:

18 Aug 2018: Type 2 diagnosis, HBA1C 51, Cholesterol 5.7, Triglycerides 2.5, weight 21st 1lb

19 Nov 2018: Hba1c 42, cholestrol 5.1, triglycerides halved from previous, Wright 17st 9 lb

21 Feb 2019: Hba1c 38, cholesterol 4.5, triglycerides 0.5, weight 15st 10lb

I'm on blood pressure tablets but with readings now as low as 85/50 I think I'll more assertively insist that is reviewied! They are very reluctant to take you off tablets when you're diabetic so Ive stored the readings Ive been getting from my monitor (which they checked for accuracy at my surgery).

I eat low carb ish but don't overly avoid them -around 160g a day. I wanted to balance not eating too much fat as my cholesterol has always been on the high side.

This forum and the great advice Ive received helped me realise how much is in your control which gave me the inspiration to drastically change my lifestyle - which Ive found way easier than I thought. Bias towards restricting carbs in preference to fat seems to satisfy my appetite better than other diet attempts Ive made and Im actually enjoying my choices of exercise.

I'm told that if I maintain hba1c below 42 for 12 months, I'll officially be in remission as far as my surgery is concerned. I realise though, that the real challenge will be to stabilise my weight loss and maintain my current glucose levels, but at least progress so far is better than I could have hoped for.

Excellent results all round @PaulLa! 🙂 You have done so well, and it's all thanks to your hard work in learning what your body will tolerate in terms of diet, and great to hear that you have found forms of exercise you enjoy so it's not a chore 🙂 You've established a great basis for a long, healthy and sustainable future 🙂 I'd definitely request a review of the BP tablets, those readings are certainly on the low side so I'd need some very convincing argument to be persuaded to keep taking them 🙂

I'm glad the forum's members have been able to help you 🙂 Keep up the good work!

Well done @PaulLa great result🙂 applaud your effort keep up the good work. I`m with @Northerner on the blood pressure it does seem rather low, BP meds would be in the bin if it was me, worth reviewing. Please keep us informed of your progress and continue to enjoy the forum.🙂

When I was diagnosed 6 months ago and told to control my diabetes without meds, I anxiously searched this forum to see how others were able to successfully control their diabetes. I though I'd post this to help encourage anyone looking for the same kind of
info as I was myself.

Just got my second hba1c result - 6 months on from diagnosis. It is 38.

This is my journey so far with diet and exercise only:

18 Aug 2018: Type 2 diagnosis, HBA1C 51, Cholesterol 5.7, Triglycerides 2.5, weight 21st 1lb

19 Nov 2018: Hba1c 42, cholestrol 5.1, triglycerides halved from previous, Wright 17st 9 lb

21 Feb 2019: Hba1c 38, cholesterol 4.5, triglycerides 0.5, weight 15st 10lb

I'm on blood pressure tablets but with readings now as low as 85/50 I think I'll more assertively insist that is reviewied! They are very reluctant to take you off tablets when you're diabetic so Ive stored the readings Ive been getting from my monitor (which they checked for accuracy at my surgery).

I eat low carb ish but don't overly avoid them -around 160g a day. I wanted to balance not eating too much fat as my cholesterol has always been on the high side.

This forum and the great advice Ive received helped me realise how much is in your control which gave me the inspiration to drastically change my lifestyle - which Ive found way easier than I thought. Bias towards restricting carbs in preference to fat seems to satisfy my appetite better than other diet attempts Ive made and Im actually enjoying my choices of exercise.

I'm told that if I maintain hba1c below 42 for 12 months, I'll officially be in remission as far as my surgery is concerned. I realise though, that the real challenge will be to stabilise my weight loss and maintain my current glucose levels, but at least progress so far is better than I could have hoped for.

Very nice!

Great work. Should be proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back