On a waiting list for a check up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunice61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've had diabetes type 2 for a good many years. Today I was visiting the doctor about something else entirely, and I mentioned that I hadn't had a diabetes check up since 2022. He told me that they don't currently have a backlog of check-ups to do and I was to make an appointment at reception. But there, I was told that they no longer hold diabetes clinics all year round. They're just a few months of the year and so I have to go on a waiting list. I was shocked. Is this normal now? Diabetes patients have to wait? I am worried as the neuropathy in my foot is getting worse and I want some advice about it. To be honest, I am not keen on the practice diabetes nurse as she rattles numbers off at me and doesn't explain what any of it means.

Unfortunately in the surgery I attend there is also a waiting list.

I've had diabetes type 2 for a good many years. Today I was visiting the doctor about something else entirely, and I mentioned that I hadn't had a diabetes check up since 2022. He told me that they don't currently have a backlog of check-ups to do and I was to make an appointment at reception. But there, I was told that they no longer hold diabetes clinics all year round. They're just a few months of the year and so I have to go on a waiting list. I was shocked. Is this normal now? Diabetes patients have to wait? I am worried as the neuropathy in my foot is getting worse and I want some advice about it. To be honest, I am not keen on the practice diabetes nurse as she rattles numbers off at me and doesn't explain what any of it means.
Normal to have it in a set month per year, mine is August / September.

I have mine as part of my annual medication review in my birthday month each year. I've also had a review 6 months ago as the HbA1c had crept up, but fortunately had dropped again.

Our surgery used to be very robust on check ups, but since Covid they are less so. I usually contact them and that arrangement seems to work

I have also had to say when I was due for a foot check I don't seem to get contacted automatically

My surgery haven't sent me any invitation to make an appointment (last annual review was March 2023). But I've had a rather snippy note saying they won't prescribe any more repeats until I've had the BG checks I've been wanting for months and haven't been invited for. (I had a phone call 'medication review' in April, but was not invited for bloods).

I think I'm going to take the opportunity to have a quiet word about their communication strategy.

It's not the first time I've been made to feel that they were intending to stop providing the meds that literally keep me alive, because they can't organise their appointment invitations.

I don't mind at all, but I'm sure there are some people treated at the surgery who might be very worried, anxious and distressed to receive the message I got.

My surgery also doesn't invite you for an annual check up. Luckily I know when it should be, as for medication review!! it's been over 10 years!! ( I also take other medication beside diabetic ones)

I’ve just had my invite to get more bloods done for my review. But I only had bloods for my hospital appointment on 30th so I have asked them to confirm if I need more bloods.

We’re lucky with our Practice. I have a dedicated diabetic nurse who sends out messages twice a year for reviews/ blood tests. I can also make appointments with her at other times if necessary.

My surgery sends me a text message every 6 months inviting me to make an appointment for a blood test in a month's time. The text message contains a link to make the appointment. The link always defaults to the week it was sent which, unsurprisingly, has no appointments. I am sure that confuses many people.

I can't remember whether the appointments are timed to be on my birthday and 6 months later or on the anniversary of my diagnosis and 6 months later. I was diagnosed exactly 6 months after my birthday.

After the blood test results are available on the NHS app, they then send me another text message telling me to make an appointment for my diabetes review. I usually ignore that one on the grounds that the DSN at my GP surgery knows absolutely nothing about Type 1 and I have an annual review at the diabetes clinic where they can do useful things like provide an update on my insulin pump. The clinic "annual" review tends to be every 15 months.

I seem to be very lucky - have an annual check up and twice-yearly face-to-face appointments with DSN at local hospital clinic - also Dietician appointments too - My GP is excellent too who is always badgering me for Blood Pressure readings - usually difficult to get through on the phone but was actually answered within 2 rings today when enquiring to change to Libre 2 plus sensor after Libre 2 failing again with signall loss and being replaced by a Libre 2 plus sensor by Abbott (this has been requested with immediate effect via my GP) - it is definitely a postcode lottery

I am actually going today to have my bloods taken, prior to my annual well woman and diabetic reviews. I take with me, my home weight and blood pressure monitoring, which I record over a 3 week period and present in the form of table and graph, giving the overall average of 84 readings. I do this twice a year, due to "White Coat Syndrome". I also weigh myself at home - same time of day, undressed and after toileting - so I can be consistent. I get chased a month before my reviews are due, to give me time for the home monitoring. Excellent GP service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back