omnipoders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matchless

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Next Wednesday 19th my diabetic nurse is bringing a selection of pump for me to look at and try and one will be a omnipod my first question is how deep does the angled cannula go with my minimed 640g i use a 9 mm cannula i did use 6mm before but had lots of failures with them also my stomach is no go area (over used) so i am limited to arms and thighs ,i must admit i have never been drawn to the pod the design looks so out of date but i am willing to give it a try as i am getting tired of the tubing after about 8 years one thing that does concern me if you hit a bad sight you have to change the whole pump instead of a cannula i would like to hear of all the pros and cons to help me choose a new pump thank you. PS i am also very interested in closed loop possibly with libre 3 when it arrives .

Both @stephknits @megga and @m1dnc use omnipod, and @mark king uses the newer Omnipod Dash.

There are a few Omnipod threads in the pumping section which might be worth browsing

Good luck with your choice!

I moved to the Omnipod Dash from the 640G last October and much prefer being tubeless. Like you, I used the 9mm 90 degree Medtronic cannulae and was a bit concerned about the shorter, angled cannulae of the Omnipod. In the event this hasn't caused any problems. I did have to tweak my basal profile a bit - which I put down to a difference in the absorption characteristics of the Omnipod cannulae - but soon got this sorted.

I used to use mostly my stomach with the 640G but now I use mostly my arms. TBH once I've attached the pod I mostly forget where I put it until it's time to change it and then I have to check manually which arm it's on. In the six months or so since I've changed, I've only had two pod failures which needed me to change the pod before its allotted time was up.

The downside to Omnipod is the lack of CGM integration. But that is in the pipeline apparently. The question for me is whether we podders will automatically be switched when it does become available. I have a face-to-face with my consultant next Tuesday and will ask the question but not hopeful that I'll get a definitive answer.

Hello @Matchless, I used to have a 7R in the early 60's.
Like m1dnc says above I've had no real issues with my Omnipod Dash. I did start with the standard Omnipod before switching over to the improved Omnipod Dash. They are the first and only pods I have used so I don't have anything to compare them against but I do like the fact that they are tubeless.
I now run mine in concert with a Libre 2 sensor which gives both visually and audible alarms for HI or LO BG settings.
As the pumps only last for 3 days it is not normally a major issue to change a pod early if you have to and it's quick and easy to do too, they also have a recycle system to take advantage of.
I transfer all my data to my Diabetic nurse via a Bluetooth connection automatically through Libreview any tweaks she requires are messaged through to me to attend too.
I do recommend the Omnipod Dash system.
Good luck, let's know what you decide.

Best

Last edited:
Hello @Matchless, I used to have a 7R in the early 60's.
Like m1dnc says above I've had no real issues with my Omnipod Dash. I did start with the standard Omnipod before switching over to the improved Omnipod Dash. They are the first and only pods I have used so I don't have anything to compare them against but I do like the fact that they are tubeless.
I now run mine in concert with a Libre 2 sensor which gives both visually and audible alarms for HI or LO BG settings.
As the pumps only last for 3 days it is not normally a major issue to change a pod early if you have to and it's quick and easy to do too, they also have a recycle system to take advantage of.
I transfer all my data to my Diabetic nurse via a Bluetooth connection automatically through Libreview any tweaks she requires are messaged through to me to attend too.
I do recommend the Omnipod Dash system.
Good luck, let's know what you decide.

Best
You had a AJS 7R brilliant mine was the 500cc in a rickman mettise frame witch i raced at brands lyden thruxton snetterton ect i did have a few rides on a friends 7R when i blew my goldstar at snetterton ,since i sold the G50 for a growing family i have been kicking my self since,I think i may give the pod a try as researching they have the horizon (pod5) coming witch they say may loop with libre 3 when that comes out .

Last edited:
I moved to the Omnipod Dash from the 640G last October and much prefer being tubeless. Like you, I used the 9mm 90 degree Medtronic cannulae and was a bit concerned about the shorter, angled cannulae of the Omnipod. In the event this hasn't caused any problems. I did have to tweak my basal profile a bit - which I put down to a difference in the absorption characteristics of the Omnipod cannulae - but soon got this sorted.

I used to use mostly my stomach with the 640G but now I use mostly my arms. TBH once I've attached the pod I mostly forget where I put it until it's time to change it and then I have to check manually which arm it's on. In the six months or so since I've changed, I've only had two pod failures which needed me to change the pod before its allotted time was up.

The downside to Omnipod is the lack of CGM integration. But that is in the pipeline apparently. The question for me is whether we podders will automatically be switched when it does become available. I have a face-to-face with my consultant next Tuesday and will ask the question but not hopeful that I'll get a definitive answer.

thanks for your reply the cannula length will be the deal breaker but i am willing to give it a try as its not a pump to reuse like a tubed pump under contract the only thing i have had on my arms is a FS libre there are the thighs as well about 8 months ago my supplier sent me a box of omnipods by mistake i phoned them to tell them the error but they have never arranged to pick them upp so i no what the size looks like but i donot have a PDM so cannot use them ,i am very excited for wednesday 19th to see what i will be offered thanks again Matchless ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back