Omnipod Vs Medtronic

Lottieb2613

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi there,

im new to diabetes uk but have been diabetic since 2009 (15 years whew!) i was on medtronic for 12 years but came away as i was allergic to the g3 and the tapes/glues but my docs kept trying to push me to use the sensor and pump as a lopp system and then the past 2 i have been using the omni pod with the libra sensor 2. i guess my question is has anyone used the new 780G with simplera sensor? my current omnipod barely lasts 2 days and i get such aweful irritation from the insulin tubing and the look of the closed loop with less carb counting and 7 day insulin looks amazing but as everyone says... is it too good to betrue?

Hi @Lottieb2613

I use the Medtronic 780G with the guardian 4 sensors in a closed loop. I will tag @everydayupsanddowns who has recently started using the simplera sensors.

With regard to looping I have found it very effective for me. I still need to carb count and bolus for meals so thee is no getting away from that, but in between meals I basically let the pump get on with its job. The pump is checking in with the sensor every five minutes and making adjustments to my basal as necessary. There are three target levels that I can use and the pump will then do the work to get me back to that. I took a long time to trust the pump to do what I had been doing for years but so glad that I stuck with it.

There is a 7 day cannula which I tried for a while. For me I found that I got skanky cannula sites so went back to the three day cannulas. I did use 6 day cannulas before with my combo pump so not sure why this was a problem and might give it another go.

I was sceptical about the looping but for me it is amazing. I self funded for 3 1/2 years which was expensive but for me well worth it as it had such a positive impact on my management, mainly emotionally.

Thank you for sharing! I am really looking into it now as i was with medtronic for a long time but my allergy to their sensors made me swap. Now they have changed them i am tempted to go back. Hearing your experience has made me hopeful about its impacts and using it day to day.

Thank you for sharing! I am really looking into it now as i was with medtronic for a long time but my allergy to their sensors made me swap. Now they have changed them i am tempted to go back. Hearing your experience has made me hopeful about its impacts and using it day to day.
I know that some use alternative tapes under their sensors if they are allergic, or as you considered they look for a different system. I hope that the new sensors suit you. Let us know how you get on.

Yep I was one of the first at my clinic to start on Simplera sensors when my tSlim contract ended. I was using Dexcom 6 as a hybrid loop with it. So I've gone back to Medtronic with the MM780G (my last Medtonic was the MM640G). Early signs suggest the Medtronic algorithm suits me slightly better than the tSlim one, but time will tell.

I'm lucky not to struggle too much with skin reactions (aside from the Medtronic G3 overtapes that shredded my skin!).

Simplera is pretty Libra-like. All-in-one and very easy insertion. They last 7 days and I don't think there's any way to restart them.

I gather there's now a 7-day set from Medtronic, but I'm happy to stay on Mio30s, which are almost identical to Tandem's Autosoft30s.

Fire away with any questions and I'll answer as best I can.

Back