Omnipod or tandem t slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanford

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am trying to make a decision between the two insulin pumps. I love the idea of omnipod as it has no wires but it isn’t linked to a CGM. My worry with a tandem T slim is the wires, fine during daytime but I’m a restless sleeper so concerned I would pull it out. I have lows often so have to resort to a quick sugar fix daily. Would really appreciate anyone’s experience on either pump.

I used to have a tubed pump and am I restless sleeper.
I would use a pump belt rapped around my upper thigh.

If I went away overnight without my pump belt, the tube never got tangled up, the pump was never disconnected and the cannula never came out. However, it always migrated to just underneath my boney hip. Hence why I kept it tethered with the pump belt.

I used to have a tubed pump and am I restless sleeper.
I would use a pump belt rapped around my upper thigh.

If I went away overnight without my pump belt, the tube never got tangled up, the pump was never disconnected and the cannula never came out. However, it always migrated to just underneath my boney hip. Hence why I kept it tethered with the pump belt.
Thanks for your information helli. May I ask what you use now

Thanks for your information helli. May I ask what you use now
I now use a Medtrum Nano pump.
OmniPod is not available from my clinic which was my preference.
However, my motivation was not to get rid of the wires (tube). My previous pump had no phone app or PDM and I was never able to hide it, especially as I am petite. So I felt that my diabetes was on display all the time. Patch pumps like the Medtrum and OmniPod are smaller and more discrete.
I understand that many are not as vain as I am and happy to expose their pumps.

I did not have the option of closed loop when I was choosing my last pump so I could not say if it would have influenced my choice.

Hi @Stanford

I’ve just made a choice between Omnipod, Medtronic & TSlim. On the Omnipod site you can request a trial dummy pod to see how you get on with it & also I joined a virtual meeting to see how it works & ask questions. Well worth it see it up close.

I’ve used a wired pump since 1998 and I can’t remember the last time if ever I pulled the cannula out at night, I’ve had a few tangles with door handles in the day!

There’s information about Omnipod looping with Dexcom in the near future on their site & it was discussed on the meeting. I’ve decided to go for TSlim & Dexcom as I think I’d struggle for enough places to stick the Omnipod that still absorb insulin.

Good luck with your choice

Thank you I have just received the Omnipod to try and enrolled on a virtual meeting but thank you for your information, I really appreciate it

hello @Stanford I can only speak for the Omnipod as it’s the only pumps I’ve even been on, I started it last month so I’m happy to answer any questions you have about it.

I can say it’s been fantastic for me, I had good control prior to the pump however since being on Omnipod I’m averaging over 90% time in range with a far lower mental load.

Good luck on your research and choosing, whichever you go for will have a very positive impact on your diabetes and life in general.

Hello @Stanford

I have always used a pump with tubes. I just chuck it in the bed and the tubing is long enough (60cm) to allow twisting around. It doesn’t cause any problem. I have like others caught the tubing on a door handle but I can only remember once it pulling out my cannula, mainly because I was going full tilt. One in 12 years, so I don’t find tubing an issue. I have never used a patch pump as I don’t like the idea of a lump on my arm. I more certain that I would knock the pump off, which I did a few times with the Libre when I used them.

I am now looping with my pump and sensors and that is brilliant. I would not want to be without that facility now. I know Omnipod have talked about it coming but that has been on the cards for a while. That would push me towards the t-slim, but then I am happy with tubing.

I hope that you find the Omnipod trial works for you. Each of the pumps does similar things in slightly different ways and can give you much more flexibility.

hello @Stanford I can only speak for the Omnipod as it’s the only pumps I’ve even been on, I started it last month so I’m happy to answer any questions you have about it.

I can say it’s been fantastic for me, I had good control prior to the pump however since being on Omnipod I’m averaging over 90% time in range with a far lower mental load.

Good luck on your research and choosing, whichever you go for will have a very positive impact on your diabetes and life in general.
I think the Omnipod is the one I’m leaning towards I think my concern is that it’s not linked to your CGM so I feel maybe I’ll continue to have hypos whereas my understanding is that if it’s linked then the insulin is suspended to protect you from lows. Sorry if using wrong jargon i’m very new to all this. Not sure what closed loop means, I’m assuming this is when the pump and CGM work in unison.

90% in range is amazing. Are you very strict with your diet. Every now & then I have a complete chocolate binge but combat that with extra insulin.
I need to find the will power !

Any more information would be gratefully received

I think the Omnipod is the one I’m leaning towards I think my concern is that it’s not linked to your CGM so I feel maybe I’ll continue to have hypos whereas my understanding is that if it’s linked then the insulin is suspended to protect you from lows. Sorry if using wrong jargon i’m very new to all this. Not sure what closed loop means, I’m assuming this is when the pump and CGM work in unison.

90% in range is amazing. Are you very strict with your diet. Every now & then I have a complete chocolate binge but combat that with extra insulin.

Later this year Omnipod 5 should be available which will integrate with Dexcom G6, try looking on Google for full details.

Use Omnipod myself & hope to change myself when 5 is available.

You are using all the correct terminology. I can see your dillema, if closed loop is the main thing you are looking for then Omnipod may not be the best option for you. The one thing to note is that you will be able to tweak your basal rate (on which ever pump you choose) which will hopefully help you to avoid lows (with or without CGM integration).

Oh no strict diet for me at all. Over the bank holiday weekend I went out for pizza, for a lovely Japanese meal and made a lovely pasta dish. I find the extended boluses excellent at keeping me in range far more easily than mdi.

How did you get on with the dummy Omnipod?

You are using all the correct terminology. I can see your dillema, if closed loop is the main thing you are looking for then Omnipod may not be the best option for you. The one thing to note is that you will be able to tweak your basal rate (on which ever pump you choose) which will hopefully help you to avoid lows (with or without CGM integration).

Oh no strict diet for me at all. Over the bank holiday weekend I went out for pizza, for a lovely Japanese meal and made a lovely pasta dish. I find the extended boluses excellent at keeping me in range far more easily than mdi.

How did you get on with the dummy Omnipod?
That sounds like fine dining and I’m relieved to hear that you don’t just eat salads and vegetables to achieve 90% in range. I think I’m still learning how much insulin my body requires.

I’m putting my dummy Omnipod on tomorrow and have my zoom meeting on Tuesday, after which I can hopefully make a decision.

With the closed loop I was thinking that there would be less input from me as it would work in conjunction with my CGM.

Do you have an Omnipod Dash?

Thanks for all your information so gratefully received.

Pumps can link up to sensors, give alarms when going low and also suspend insulin before a low. These also enable you to make adjustments to your basal temporarily.

In closed loop systems there is a transmitter connected to your sensor which transmits your reading every 5 minutes. The pump then uses an algorithm and makes adjustments to your basal rate throughout the day without any input from the user. You still need to input carb data for meals. I have been using this system for two years now and it gives me a lot better TIR with far less effort. I would not want to go back now.

Pumps can link up to sensors, give alarms when going low and also suspend insulin before a low. These also enable you to make adjustments to your basal temporarily.

In closed loop systems there is a transmitter connected to your sensor which transmits your reading every 5 minutes. The pump then uses an algorithm and makes adjustments to your basal rate throughout the day without any input from the user. You still need to input carb data for meals. I have been using this system for two years now and it gives me a lot better TIR with far less effort. I would not want to go back now.
Thanks so much for that information does the algorithm also make adjustments to your Bolus rate if you take too much insulin before meals. This is often the case for me as I’m still working out how much to take versus how much exercise I’m doing. I really want to make sure I get the right pump for me so I apologise for all these questions.

Thanks so much for that information does the algorithm also make adjustments to your Bolus rate if you take too much insulin before meals. This is often the case for me as I’m still working out how much to take versus how much exercise I’m doing. I really want to make sure I get the right pump for me so I apologise for all these questions.
The system does make adjustments after a meal where I have got my carbs wrong or my insulin out by a bit. It won’t cope with massive errors but I find that, after the active insulin time for what I have already injected, the pump and sensor gradually sort things out and bring me back to my target. I particularly like this if I have a later meal than usual. I may well be a bit higher than I would like but by the morning I see the oscillations and then a level ish line back on target.

I use a temp target if I exercise, which lifts my target up from 5.5 to 8.6. The pump then adjusts to that higher level for a period of time that I set. I initiate this about an hour before I will be doing gentle exercise, and keep it on a little while after I finish. The pump company do some excellent webinars on tweaking the pump settings and I find that as more of us are now using this we come up with ideas to share.

The system works brilliantly in ‘normal‘ days, and requires very little input from me apart from around meals. Our sensors require just one finger prick in a week, apart from checking for any hypos. I used to have about one hypo each day with out the looping and now it will be about one a week, usually when exercising. In extremes such as illness and big exercise I need to get a bit more involved and get more alerts and alarms. Overall I now do a lot less thinking about Diabetes, trusting the pump to do its job and get my attention if it needs some help.

Any questions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back