Omnipod Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leggott

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter has just been given the new Dash. Can anyone tell me if they use it and how it compares to the old PDM style (Which she currently uses) Really want to know what the main benefits are. Im concerned about how often she will have to charge it compared to the old PDM which only needed batteries changing several months, and the fact that you can’t use it to test blood which we liked as a back up if her libre stopped working or came off. Thank you

Hi @Leggott. I’m starting pumping with the Dash at the end of June (currently on MDI). I’ve been told to charge the PDM overnight, every night, just to be on the safe side.

@Pattidevans and @m1dnc are currently using the Dash. I’m sure one of them’ll be along soon to tell you about the benefits. 🙂

Mixed feelings if honest, old pdm batteries lasted weeks as where Dash needs charged every 1-2days, plus built in bg meter in pdm was handy.

Think for young kids Dash would win hands down on appearance as it just looks like mobile phone & takes up little space in pocket, Dash pods only work with device so wont work with Pdm should you switch back.

Oops, forgot about you @nonethewiser.

A built-in BG meter would be handy. I guess Insulet were thinking about the next upgrade, when the Pod’ll be linked to a CGM.

Frankly after 8 years on a Combi pump, that had a handset which was a meter too, I find it a nuisance that I have to carry an extra device i.e. my phone for the Libre, a meter AND the PDM. I do mostly charge it when I go to bed, but not always, it lasts longer than advertised.
Luckily I am one of those who finds the Libre pretty accurate so often just bolus off a scan.

I'm with Patti on this - a blinking nuisance having to carry the PDM all the time. Why can't they just create an app for our phones? I understand that there is a high bar to reach to meet safety concerns, but other pump manufactures have managed it. You are very dependent on the PDM - there is no other way to enter bolus information into the pod.

I put mine on to charge overnight with my phone. Not a big problem.

I have found that the Dexcom G6 works very well for me and I use that, rather than a BG meter, for bolusing. So at least I don't have to carry a meter as well.

@m1dnc just seen your news on another thread Re: the Dash being replaced when the new Omnipod is released. Interesting. I wonder how hard it will be to get Dexcom prescribed? I also heard rumours of it being compatible with a phone app.

@m1dnc just seen your news on another thread Re: the Dash being replaced when the new Omnipod is released. Interesting. I wonder how hard it will be to get Dexcom prescribed? I also heard rumours of it being compatible with a phone app.
Bear in mind the Dexcom app is supported on a small subset of phones. This may be a problem for some people.

So really the Dash only has a smarter handset which is like a phone….. Nothing is really a game changer as I see it?
I too cannot wait for the Omnipod 5 with Dexcom to be approved over here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back