omnipod and camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelejane

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi any podders,
have any of you been camping whilst on your omnipod?
last year my PDM refused to charge with a power pack, or in the car or even using a campsite office mains socket.
We are planning a trip hoping to go glamping or camping. I just tried out the powerpack and my pdm began to lose power immediately. Could my PDM be faulty? I have only been a podder about 6 months.
Omnipod were unable to help other than advising me not to go far from my house electricity sockets overnight.

Battery on Dash is naff, have to charge it every day, rep did warn about this on training session.

No idea how you could overcome this issue other than go back to pens for camping trip.

Aaaggh - I'd be stuffed then as all our leisure winter and summer, takes place in our motorhome - and frequently do 3 or 4 days away without mains electricity. Have you actually asked them if it is chargeable via 12v ?

I'm back in our usual winter quarters in the tropics where we have 110V mains. Charging the PDM is very erratic here. Sometimes it charges very quickly and sometimes I plug it in and look at it an hour later and it has less that it started. I get there in the end, but it's very odd as it's plugged in to a standard USB charger.

Mind you, we have a very erratic power supply at the best of times here.

I'm back in our usual winter quarters in the tropics where we have 110V mains. Charging the PDM is very erratic here. Sometimes it charges very quickly and sometimes I plug it in and look at it an hour later and it has less that it started. I get there in the end, but it's very odd as it's plugged in to a standard USB charger.

Mind you, we have a very erratic power supply at the best of times here.

Odd isnt it, have noticed battery says 60% then go to use device later & it will be totally flat, luckily screen switches on when on charge.

Like device but no idea why battery is so useless compared to mobile phones.

I quite agree the pdm battery is poor i have got into the habit of switching it off as soon as i have used it for bolus or other otherwise i have had to charge it more the once a day. i find the operating program is good but the phone they have adapted is naf.

Also switch it to standby once insulin dose starts to deliver, doesnt interfere with delivery so no issues.

You can also increase decrease time that pdm stays on, that makes difference.

Insulet will lend you a pod to take on holiday with you as back up.

Insulet will lend you a pod to take on holiday with you as back up.
My understanding is a problem with the battery life of the PDM.
A spare Pod won't help with that.
However, Medtrum's holiday loan is a full unopened pack including the pump and the PDM (and instruction manual for "added weight"). Maybe that is what Inulet provide?

My understanding is a problem with the battery life of the PDM.
A spare Pod won't help with that.
Sorry, my mistake, I meant a spare PDM (not pod - got pods on the brain right now!) and I was thinking in terms of the OPs PDM possibly being faulty. Although I'm fairly new to the Omnipod my PDM's charge seems to last a heck of a lot longer than they told me it did.

Before I came away for the winter, I bought a backup PDM from Omnipod - they wouldn't give me a holiday loan for 6-months not surprisingly. The charging issue with my original PDM got so bad that I've now switched to the backup, and I'll take it up with Omnipod when I get back later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back