OMG custard tart

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok, I have never done this before. I don't even like pastries. Today I went into Greggs and bought a coffee and for a reason I cannot even begin to explain, I bought a custard tart. I ate the thing (it was delicious) arrived back home, waited the correct time and tested myself. It was 7.5, which is fine. I doubt if I will do it again. I decided as I had thrown cation to the wind, not to even think of the saturated fat content... I need to get back to the office

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just laughing here - the concept of never before succumbing to a vendor of coffee's tempting farinaceous fancies, is alien to me!

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Custard tarts. My favourite. Pre-diagnosis I could get through a 4-pack in a day.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wow... four of those things. Impressive

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Custard tarts. My favourite. Pre-diagnosis I could get through a 4-pack in a day.
A day? I could manage them in under an hour. This explains a lot.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I could easily pass on the coffee as I only enjoy my own however I could not pass up a custard tart or even two .

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nothing wrong with a custard tart!
Still one of my favourites.

BrendaW

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I am new to this forum and am not diabetic but prediabetic. A somewhat confused prediabetic. I have been on the diabetic prevention course for 9 months. My HC1A started at 47 and is down to 43. On the course one of the things we gleaned is that we dont have to stop eating anything just in moderation. I have tried to cut out some carbohydrates and sugar over the 9 months but obviously not reduced the HC1A enough as I am still on prediabetic spectrum. I do struggle with giving up my piece of homemade cake with cup of tea in the afternoon. Stems from my childhood days when I got home from school my mother was always there for us children to come home and tea and cakes and chat were the daily occurance. I continued this with my four children and now I have the grandchildren and am 71yrs in the afternoon tea and cake is called for to keep energy up. Would be interested to see what views are as to whether this is contributing to keep HC1A up.
Another problem I have developed is numbness in sole of my feet but also pain in ankles and on the top of foot. I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy but am confused as to whether this is connected to diabetes or not.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
not to even think of the saturated fat content...
Relax - I don't believe that any of the fat in an egg custard tart is saturated, but each one can be up to a whopping 25-35g carb.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am new to this forum and am not diabetic but prediabetic. A somewhat confused prediabetic. I have been on the diabetic prevention course for 9 months. My HC1A started at 47 and is down to 43. On the course one of the things we gleaned is that we dont have to stop eating anything just in moderation. I have tried to cut out some carbohydrates and sugar over the 9 months but obviously not reduced the HC1A enough as I am still on prediabetic spectrum. I do struggle with giving up my piece of homemade cake with cup of tea in the afternoon. Stems from my childhood days when I got home from school my mother was always there for us children to come home and tea and cakes and chat were the daily occurance. I continued this with my four children and now I have the grandchildren and am 71yrs in the afternoon tea and cake is called for to keep energy up. Would be interested to see what views are as to whether this is contributing to keep HC1A up.
Another problem I have developed is numbness in sole of my feet but also pain in ankles and on the top of foot. I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy but am confused as to whether this is connected to diabetes or not.
Hi. Welcome to the Forum.
Your HbA1c is in the pre-diabetes range so the advice would have been aimed at keeping it from rising higher and pushing you into diabetes territory proper. It would have been different advice if you'd had a diabetes diagnosis, especially if your reading was high, and you would have been looking at cutting things out altogether or at the very least reducing portion sizes.

Sorry to hear about your foot problems. From what I've read prediabetes is thought to be associated with similar risks for peripheral neuropathy as new-onset diabetes and may be more common in patients with prediabetes than previously thought.

Martin

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having been there myself I do think that being in the prediabetes zone is a a bit of a orange flag, not quite red but easy to let things slip so you suddenly find yourself over that threshold by relaxing on the diet. That piece of cake with the afternoon cuppa when I retired and was home plus portion size drifting upwards as well as less exercise (I had a active day when at work) pushed me into the diabetic zone. Going low carb higher fat enabled me to get back to below prediabetic and lose some weight, still not there with that yet so onwards and hopefully downwards as they say.
So now is the time to look at your food choices.

BrendaW

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I maybe should of also said that since being diagnosed as prediabetic and going on the course I have lost a lot, in my view, too much weight which I find quite unpleasant.

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having been there myself I do think that being in the prediabetes zone is a a bit of a orange flag, not quite red but easy to let things slip so you suddenly find yourself over that threshold by relaxing on the diet. That piece of cake with the afternoon cuppa when I retired and was home plus portion size drifting upwards as well as less exercise (I had a active day when at work) pushed me into the diabetic zone. Going low carb higher fat enabled me to get back to below prediabetic and lose some weight, still not there with that yet so onwards and hopefully downwards as they say.
So now is the time to look at your food choices.

Reduce portion size, reduce the fat, increase the exercise, enjoy the custard tart worked for me.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Custard tart - no problem - make the shell from nuts and butter, the custard use cream and eggs sweeten it with an artificial sweetener once it is cooling, pour into the chilled shell and leave to set.