Olympics!!!!

EMcKT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
OK, husband has BBQ,d, red wine is opened as it's Friday, and I am going to settle down to watch. Not as good as the Queen descending from a helicopter, but super to watch Paris showing off. Hope everyone has a fabulous evening.

Sounds wonderful. Which events are you looking forward to the most?

Some great new events this time. Kayak Cross has caught my imagination 🙂

Nothing espceially, I will dip in and out, but am now quite bored with the silly dancers ..........and as for Lady GagA ???????? Maybe I M getting old, but I have tidied the kitchen, put on the dishwasher and now on here.oh dear

You could have tried the Verdi from the proms on BBC4.... shorter, better music and no dancing although a bit of rain might have spiced it up.

Some great new events this time. Kayak Cross has caught my imagination 🙂
I will be watching the climbing. And very glad they have split it out into two competitions whereas it was only one vertical triathlon in Tokyo which upset the climbers. Speed climbing is like a vertical hurdles where they do the same route in every competition whereas the other two disciplines (bouldering and lead climbing) is more skilful as they need to work out how to do the routes when they see them.
I think the speed climbing is more “accessible” for non climbers to watch because it is just the first to the top and it only takes a few seconds,

Well. It rained and rained. I'm sorry for everyone that got wet, but Celine Dionne was worth waiting for !!!!!!!!
Finished the red wine, I know, and a glass of water , pills and bed. Kept some dinner veg to have with tomorrow's egg for brekkie and back on the teetotal path. By the way, I do like the proms as well.

I will be watching the climbing. And very glad they have split it out into two competitions whereas it was only one vertical triathlon in Tokyo which upset the climbers. Speed climbing is like a vertical hurdles where they do the same route in every competition whereas the other two disciplines (bouldering and lead climbing) is more skilful as they need to work out how to do the routes when they see them.
I think the speed climbing is more “accessible” for non climbers to watch because it is just the first to the top and it only takes a few seconds,
I will look out for this. We caught the speed climbing last timeand were amazed as non climbers.

As i had had eye drops they had got to V when I decided I was up to watching the opening ceremony. I doubt Imissed much with the endless boats full of people dancing and jumping around. I hope the oldest Olympian (100) was OK as I felt for him sitting there in the rain. The guy running with a prosthetic was impressive compared to my pathetic efforts! :(

I tend to dip in and out, and saw some of the cycling (lots coming off in the wet - don't they have "wet" weather tyres like F1?), some diving and some gymnastics. It's the last F1 (Spa) before the summer break so that is the main sport today.

Did you see the chap carrying the Olympic Torch much earlier with the Exoskeleton????? He was uplifting. I too thought that they might have given the old chap a brolly. Maybe he had one and it was removed for cameras

The guy running with a prosthetic was impressive compared to my pathetic efforts! :(
Virtual hugs. Some days are harder than others but any amount of effort you put in is something. Cut yourself some a slack! 😉

A few thoughts.

I didn't see the opening ceremony, this might be due to my attention being divided by 100 ball cricket.

Does anyone know what the mascot is supposed to be? It looks like a red poo emoji.

Since I am mostly used to watching Sky Sports, I find the BBC coverage to be bloody awful. Skipping from channel to channel, far too much punditry when they could be showing the action.

Am I a bad person for liking the female athlete's bottoms a bit too much?

Brilliant finish on the men's triathlon. Our man Yee looked as though he was hanging on for silver and in danger of not getting a medal at all with two French guys snapping at his heels. With perfect timing he put the hammer down and got gold.

Simone Biles floor routine was in a totally different league to her rivals, absolutely amazing. How good do you need to be to outclass the best gymnasts in the world?

Since I am mostly used to watching Sky Sports, I find the BBC coverage to be bloody awful. Skipping from channel to channel, far too much punditry when they could be showing the action.
The Beeb lost their "primary coverage" rights so they do not have control over what is filmed and have less hours of action that they can show. So they have to fill in with punditry.
I think Discovery+ now have the primary coverage rights which is controversial because it should be free to all and they are a subscription channel.
I guess it all comes down to money - the Olympic are pretty expensive to run and they have to get as much money from TV, advertising, etc. as they can.

Does anyone know what the mascot is supposed to be? It looks like a red poo emoji.

The mascots are called Phryges, based on the traditional Phrygian hats that serve as a symbol for freedom. They're seen everywhere in French culture and are a symbol of French history and values.

As for the BBC coverage, Warner Bros Discovery has the rights to the games and the BBC are constrained by what they're allowed to show, only 2 live events at a time for example.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Meanwhile the swimming is happening and Becky Adlington is wearing a spectacularly psychedelic dress that appears to have been designed by the animators that did Yellow Submarine. Either that or she is channeling Joseph. Becky is the only Olympic champion that I have actually met, I described the encounter here:

The Beeb lost their "primary coverage" rights so they do not have control over what is filmed and have less hours of action that they can show. So they have to fill in with punditry.
I think Discovery+ now have the primary coverage rights which is controversial because it should be free to all and they are a subscription channel.
I guess it all comes down to money - the Olympic are pretty expensive to run and they have to get as much money from TV, advertising, etc. as they can.

Sadly the same has happened to the Premiership and F1. The problem is too encourage sport, andi hence wellbeing, it needs to be more accessible at all levels. A large percentage of Premiership and F1 expenditure is the obscene amounts paid to players and drivers. Although Lewis Hamilton encourages diversity would be take a 90% pay cut to encourage accessibility?

I dip in and out of the Olympics as I cannot stand the punditry. I am also extremely bored of Claire Balding presenting every sport and Crufts - another turn off for me!

I'm another who finds the punditry a irritating - it is rare that anything is said which has not been said many times before. I get the feeling that jobs for the boys comes into it as well. As for the trackside interviews (another job for a mate and an opportunity to get brand names on the telly), I'm waiting for somebody to really say what they are thinking rather than what their manager/sponsor wants them to say.

I’m watching it all on iplayer which is a much better experience, easier to skip the boring bits and concentrate just on the sports you like. Also they have an Extra channel, don’t know whether that’s via red button but those bits on iplayer are uninterrupted sport. Some of the popular events such as the gymnastics and triathlon etc are re-edited into specials which then gives you complete coverage of the entire event without having to faff about changing channels all the time. They do post the original channel footage as well if you prefer. Admittedly I’m a day behind on the action, but it’s much easier to watch! Available for 4 months

By the way, Clare Balding only presents the evening programme - you get Hazel Irvine during the day and a lady who I don’t know in the morning. And no presenters at all on the Extra channel, just a voice over telling you what’s coming up and then they get on with it 😎

Enjoying Olympics, don't watch it all so dip in & out.

Agree some commentators are annoying, same goes with football, Gary Neville being one.

Like Hazel Irvine presenting, same as when she's presenting snooker coverage, lovely lady.

Back