Olympian Wants Free Bikes for Everyone on the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
London's Boris Bikes may have made cycling accessible, if comparatively laborious, to even the most Lycra averse, yet it's not quite enough for Olympic gold medalist turned bike maker/endorser Chris Boardman, who has called for bicycles to be available free on the National Health Service.

"The Department of Health should be screaming at the top of its voice and banging on doors," the former Tour de France yellow jersey-wearer told The Sun, quite animatedly it would seem, "saying, 'For God's sake, if people want to ride bikes, get everything out of their way and we’re all going to benefit.'

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/10/olympian-wants-free-bikes-for-everyone-on-the-nhs/

Not for me on today's roads :(

A good sport & nice in the summer. Its a great way to get to work etc 😎

Of course they will be free, the people that make the metal will do it for love, the people that manufacture the bikes will do it for fun and then they will give them away for just a smile.:D

I would like a no VAT system on things we consider healthy but lets be honest and stop this free this and free that as it all has to be paid for by somebody.

Of course they will be free, the people that make the metal will do it for love, the people that manufacture the bikes will do it for fun and then they will give them away for just a smile.:D

I would like a no VAT system on things we consider healthy but lets be honest and stop this free this and free that as it all has to be paid for by somebody.

I think that I largely agree with you.

Whilst there are some things, which if given free, will end up saving money in the long run, I don't think that this is one of them. Indeed, with the state of most roads, the lack of consideration by some car drivers and, indeed, cyclists, I think it will probably result in more accidents and increased costs to the NHS.

Yes, Chris Boardman is an olympian, but I don't rate his thinking on this one!

Andy 🙂

I rode a bicycle for the first time in years a few days ago.
16km through the chinese countyside to see some villages, scenery and to get to some bamboo rafts on the river.
No after effects, or sore limbs. Felt really good. Same for my 69 yr old other half.
Not quite the same in London, but not afraid of the exercise now.

My Dad, brother- in law & myself had a week in Scotland a while ago & peddled all way around Loch Tay one day. Early on we saw wild deer something you would not see in a car. They were only feet away & ran asap soon as they spotted us. You see a lot on a bike 😉 Don't know about free bikes ? There are lots of routes around away from cars etc & safe

My Dad, brother- in law & myself had a week in Scotland a while ago & peddled all way around Loch Tay one day. Early on we saw wild deer something you would not see in a car. They were only feet away & ran asap soon as they spotted us. You see a lot on a bike 😉 Don't know about free bikes ? There are lots of routes around away from cars etc & safe

Went to lock tay when we stayed with Vic (vicsetter on here) a beautiful place. I would try and cycle round it though:D

We also took our catamarans there & sail the full loch- lake. I have been right around on motorbike & you are right a nice place. Been on trip around the whiskey distillery at other end of loch. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back