Older brother admitted to Hospital.

stephenS50

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello there my good friends..

Last night I got a phone call from my older sister Sandra.My brother John,who is type two diabetic,has been admitted to hospital. She's been told that the problems are Diabetes related and one of the things they've discovered Is that he has an abcess on his left foot. He's told them that the only toe he can right now is his left big toe and the abcess is giving the doctors serious cause for concern...it's not unsurprisingly giving me and my sister cause for concern because this is the exact same thing our late mother Lily had on her right foot and it had to be amputated...any words of comfort and support right now would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Oh dear that must be a worry but treatment with the correct antibiotics and use of the more modern dressings containing silver or manuka honey can help.
Obviously treating high blood glucose is going to help the healing process.
Assessing the circulation as that will be important for blood flow and healing.

I hope so too..he's had X-Rays done but we don't know anything about them...I think the main worry for us and the doctors is has the poison in the abcess has affected the rest of his left leg...my sister and I are hoping and praying it hasn't.

Im really sorry to hear about your brother & all the worry that brings.

As above there are numerous things & combination of things/surgery to try to clean & treat the abscess and get infection under control.

I hope you get some better news soon.

Keeping fingers crossed for your brother. Hope they caught it in time and can successfully treat it.

The good news is it’s been identified and your brother is in the right place @stephenS50 Treatments progress every year and there’s nothing to say your brother will have a repeat of your mum’s experience. Wishing him (and you) all the best xx

Back