Older age diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue@cadran

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
I would like to know if anyone else has had an older (65 yrs old) age diagnosis of Type 1?

I would like to know if anyone else has had an older (65 yrs old) age diagnosis of Type 1?

Welcome to the forum Sue!

Well Sir Lindsay Hoyle was diagnosed at 62, so you are in pretty good company!

Someone ran a straw poll here some years ago, which you might find interesting:

And another here

And also

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

I was just turned 56 at diagnosis. I think in some respects it is easier as a mature adult once you get over the initial shock. I think it must be incredibly difficult for parents and children going through the teenage years and early 20s with Type 1 and horrendous to have to finger prick and inject babies and toddlers and worry about what their levels are doing day and night particularly when they don't know or understand to look out for hypos. I am also grateful that I had 56 years living free of it before it hit, although I might have been fitter and healthier if it had hit me sooner. I definitely feel better for the lifestyle changes I have made as a result of diagnosis.

The oldest I've seen recorded was age 91! Because viruses can cause T1/LADA as well as antibodies you can become LADA at any old age

Hello Sue, I was 64, almost 6 months ago. I am retired and grateful for that as I had the time to take on board all the information to deal with the changes in my life. I was extremely anxious and letting diabetes rule me. I am much more comfortable now and using this forum has really helped me manage my diabetes. I think being older helps as the difference in my life is minimal. Good luck

I was diagnosed in my 30s, working full time and determined that I would not need to make any major changes to my life. I concentrated on understanding the impact of my normal life on my blood sugars and adjusted my insulin accordingly.
We are all different but I have always been determined that diabetes does not control my life, I manage my diabetes.

Hello All, thank you for your replies and pleased I'm not alone in an older age diagnosis of Type 1. The consultant I see said it can be brought on by shock which I've had in bucketfulls for the last 14 years. I use a monitor which is brilliant but still having problems with highs and lows. It's about getting the balance right regarding insulin, eating and then exercising which I haven't mastered. It's almost like it's connected to something foreign as I can do exactly the same things including eating and exercise for two consecutive days and have such different blood sugar readings.
I have been asked to complete a carbs sheet for everything I eat and drink. When am I supposed to have time for that when I'm caring for my husband. I started doing it and gave up as I was getting so frustrated with calculating ingredients and working out the carbs - bahhh!!!

Out of interest from previous replies, what is Type 1.5 LADA?

Sorry about the rant!!!!

Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA or sometimes referred to as Type 1.5) is a slow onset form of Type 1 diabetes which may initially respond to Type 2 medication or more likely lifestyle changes and can be under control like that for months or even years until there are no longer enough beta cells alive to produce enough insulin and levels suddenly go through the roof. I suppose it is a bit like a very long slow honeymoon period with type 1. Eventually someone with LADA will need insulin but it can be many years after diagnosis and they are often misdiagnosed as Type 2 in the first instance.

Do you actually eat something entirely different for every different meal, every different day? Whilst I like a varied diet, some things are pretty standard eg I have a sandwich for my lunch most days, hence the carb element for the bread is much the same every day - and I have (meat or fish or cheese or egg) protein as the filling so nil carb to add for that. Any salad I have in or with is usually Nil too. If I have a bag of crisps the carbs are on the packet. Pork pie, ditto. Dinner is either meat spuds and veg, so just the carb in the spuds, or spag bol so just the spag, or chili and rice so just the rice + a few for the red beans. Because I use the same large serving spoon for cooked pasta or rice, I only need to weigh X spoonfuls of either the once - then every time I have X spoonfuls again the carbs will be the same.

I don't eat brekkie but most folk only eat a limited repertoire in a morning so ditto.

What you could do is divide this elephant into bite sized portions and do breakfasts for 3 days, then lunches for 3 days and next dinners. Anytime thereafter you eat any of those 9 different things, you already know the carbs for them before you eat them.

Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA or sometimes referred to as Type 1.5) is a slow onset form of Type 1 diabetes which may initially respond to Type 2 medication or more likely lifestyle changes and can be under control like that for months or even years until there are no longer enough beta cells alive to produce enough insulin and levels suddenly go through the roof. I suppose it is a bit like a very long slow honeymoon period with type 1. Eventually someone with LADA will need insulin but it can be many years after diagnosis and they are often misdiagnosed as Type 2 in the first instance.
That's exactly what happened to me Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back