ok so what exactly is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
im a charb counter and have been on novo rapid and lantus for years.....lot of people on here seem to be on novo rapid and levimar

what is the difference between lantus and levimar?

thanks in advance :D

I belive that the difference is in the way that the two are absorbed. There will also be differences in the structure of the two molecules. Other than that I don't know. You never know, we might have a pharmacist on here!

Similar insulins made by different companies Lantus by Aventis and Levemir by Novo nordisk.

Both are flat basal insulins and last anywhere between 18-24 hours, Levemir seems to run out slightly sooner for alot of people so seems to be split more often than Lantus. I don't get a full 24 hours out of Lantus so I split it into 2 injections 1 in the morning and 1 at night.

I think....and this is a vaguely remembered talk given by our hospital diabetes nurse...that lantus is a sort of slow release thing

"The type of insulin in Lantus is called insulin glargine. This is known as a long acting insulin. It is injected under the skin in the evening, where it forms a reservoir of insulin that is released slowly over the next 24 hours to help control blood glucose levels throughout a 24 hour period.
" (Netdoctor.co.uk)

I think Eileen said it was in particals which are sort of like an onion, with layers dissolving at a certain rate throughout the day/night?

Ok, the netdoctor says the same for Levemir. They are made by different companies, Levemir by Novo Nordisk and Lantus by Sanofi Aventis.

If i remember i'll ask at work on Monday

Rachel

fab link Northerner, thanks! That's a very informative website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back