Ok I'm confused now !

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought T1 were insulin dependant and Type 2 were tablets, excercise and diet. Reading a previous post about the number of T2's I noticed some posts were from T2's that are on insulin. Have I been thinking :confused:wrong for a year ?

Yes. Some start with exercise and diet often requiring oral medication and some need insulin

Most of the public have this misconseption that type 2 only need to exercise, diet and take tablets, the other misconseption is type 2 start out on tablets and diet and then later as it is a progressive disease you will in the long term need to go onto insulin
I was rushed into hospital and was diagnosed type 2, I spent 14 days there and have been on insulin since day 1. I inject 5 times a day

70 units Levimer @ 8am and 6pm..Novorapid 50 units @8am then 40units @midday and again @ 6pm

I am also type 2 and need to take Insulin. I even had an argument with a NURSE in hospital recently as she insisted I was type 1 if I was on Insulin and I insisted I was Type 2. She was not going to accept it, so in the end I told her to write whatever she liked. She did......saying I was Type 1 diabetic and Insulin dependant. :confused:

That is some insulin requirement John! I'm on 26 Levemir at night and Novorapid when I eat, carbs dependant, but usually 20-26.

its due to the body's insulin resistance which is why type 2 diabetics will generally require more insulin, type 1s don't have insulin resistance they just don't make it... pretty much the same or similar end result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back