Ohio man couldn't get insulin that would've saved his life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
He shouldn't be dead.

Kevin Houdeshell. Thirty-six-years-old. Diabetic. Good looking boy next door, says sister, Amy Houdeshell.

"That one-in-a-million one a mother would love her daughter to bring home to the family," she said.

But an expired prescription for insulin was his death sentence.

"He was young, fit, healthy. The pharmacy told him his script had expired, and 'We're sorry, but we can't give you anymore. He tried three times to call his doctor's office, and four days later he passed away from not having his insulin," she said.

His family is on a mission now out of unthinkable unnecessary tragedy, joining forces with the Diabetes Partnership of Cleveland to let Northeast Ohio know what Kevin didn't.

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.co...lin-death-ohio-man-tragedy-diabetes/23286837/

This is NOT what Fred Banting envisaged :( He wanted insulin to be free for anyone who needed it. So much for great healthcare in the US :(

This case sounds more like bureaucracy (refusal to fill an expired prescription) than money. Still very sad and wrong.

This case sounds more like bureaucracy (refusal to fill an expired prescription) than money. Still very sad and wrong.

Indeed, some sort of assistance should have been offered and the pharmacist should have been able to give some advice. I'm sure there would be less of a problem if no money was involved though.

It's shocking that this could happen in a "first world" country. We are so fortunate to have the NHS - my heart sinks when I look at the future of healthcare in this country, heaven forbid we should follow the US model :(

In the USA you can buy insulin over the counter, it wont be the analogues. but the synthetic insulin can be bought without prescription. So something has gone very badly wrong here and shame on the pharmacist for not sending him to the hospital at least for guidance and or the correct insulin.
Such a waste of life 😡

In the USA you can buy insulin over the counter, it wont be the analogues. but the synthetic insulin can be bought without prescription. So something has gone very badly wrong here and shame on the pharmacist for not sending him to the hospital at least for guidance and or the correct insulin.
Such a waste of life 😡

Yes, I thought you could buy it in Walmart, but wasn't sure if you needed a prescription or not. I wonder why he didn't go to the hospital? Surely you would have a strategy for dealing with an emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back