Oh No!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Since my post on breakfast cereals I have found that the best feral fir a minimal post breakfast spike is plain porridge. However., today I mananaged to spill some on Stumpy! Despite pouring cold water on it and then applying cold wet cloths I am now developing a blister. Now uncertain whether to use the prosthetic or not. Also I have nothing to apply and can't get to the pharmacy. Do you think E45 might be helpful?

IMG_20230510_111358.jpg

Oh no Mikey! You need to be more careful!..... or have yoghurt and berries for breakfast as they don't burn... 🙄

If the prosthetic is likely to rub on it, then I probably wouldn't use it for a few days, which is frustrating I imagine but no point in making it worse and ending up with a bigger sore that takes longer to heal.

Do you not have any Germolene or similar antibacterial cream? If not then you need to get some, particularly since you have history of infection in your feet, although I appreciate that is currently under medical treatment, but having something at home to treat anything which looks inflamed or angry means that you can potentially nip things in the bud before it goes too far and needs medical intervention. A tube of Germolene will last me several years, but it works wonders on my body and I wouldn't be without it, so I would recommend you get some ordered online and delivered. In the mean time I might be inclined to place a dry non stick dressing over it to protect it rather than apply something greasy like E45. I didn't have a non stick dressing when I urn myself recently so I used cling film under a cotton make up pad and taped it over with Micropore but I am guessing, apart from the cling film you don't have any of that stuff either.... almost certainly not make up removal pads 😉 A home first aid kit really should be something that everyone has. I have one for the horses too so if I run out of anything in my kit, I can always dip into the horses kit..... and have on more than one occasion!!

I am wracking my brains for a suitable home remedy but coming up blank at the moment.... but sending (((HUGS))) until I come up with something more helpful...

The best thing for a blister is not to damage the fragile layer of skin over the top, and let it heal from underneath, so don’t do anything that might break that. The skin layer will protect the damaged skin under the fluid filled bit from getting any infection in it.

I should add that my post probably makes me sound really organIzed when in fact I am extremely disorganized and haphazard, but I am also independent and know that I need to look after myself and my animals, so whilst my "First Aid kits" might not be all in one nice neat box or cupboard.... if I rake around in amongst the chaos, I know the important bits and pieces I need are there somewhere and I will find them. That said, the Germolene is always on the windowsill because I need it for cuts and grazes on an almost daily basis.

I'd put a dry, non stick dressing on it just to cover and protect it. I'd maybe use something cold at first and let it sit on it for an hour maybe..(ice pack?). A blister is your body's way of healing itself naturally. I'd not put any cream on it I dont think, but you could also phone your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back