Oh No! Macular Oedema Diagnosed!

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday became a long day. I got to Opthalmology with minutes to spare as the roads were chock-a-block (half the population armed to be driving somewhere). I had the same tests as last time (visual acuity and retinal scan) and waited to see the consultant. He did the slit lamp scan. Unfortunately the scan show Macular Oedema to the right eye. He did not refer to it as DMO that has always puzzled me as I know a non-diabetic with it. Diabetes makes the chances of cataracts and MO more likely but I suspect is not necessarily the root cause. Everybody over 40 in the female line has had both eyes treated for cataracts and only one other is diabetic

As time was getting on I have to go back for an injection into the eye in a couple of weeks. Wish it had been done yesterday as I will probably think about daily! (terrified emoji).

sorry to hear that. No point saying worrying is no good. Why
worry, worry, worry
because if you
worry, worry, worry,
then
worry, worry, worry
will
worry ,worry , worry,
you.
wish you better soon.

For me, the injections were actually not a big deal in the end. Quick, painless, a bit scratchy for a little while afterwards and sometimes an annoying floater, but generally less of a hassle than eye drops.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, they worked really well for me.

So sorry to hear your woes @MikeyBikey - it's a terrible thought to have injections. In fact the thought is almost certainly worse that the action. Encouraging statement from @Eddy Edson re the reality. My dad used to have to go for 6 weekly injections due to Macular, but like Eddy he said he hardly felt a thing either during or after. We always kept some paracetamol handy for after his injection but he hardly ever took them.
Best of luck x

I am having the injection Friday lunchtime. The original appointment they sent me clashed on a morning I am having foot treatment and also meant being ready for Patient Transport at 6:30! When I rang to change it I was told it was important to keep the appointment (choosing between sight and a leg is like choosing between the electric chair and the gas chamber) but when they searched I got Friday's appointment. I much preferred it when follow up appointments were made on the way out instead of being posted afterwards and all too often then clashing with another appointment or, pre-Covid, a holiday or business trip!

Wishing you prompt Patient Transport and a smooth but speedy procedure on Friday Mikey. Lots of luck!

I am having the injection Friday lunchtime. The original appointment they sent me clashed on a morning I am having foot treatment and also meant being ready for Patient Transport at 6:30! When I rang to change it I was told it was important to keep the appointment (choosing between sight and a leg is like choosing between the electric chair and the gas chamber) but when they searched I got Friday's appointment. I much preferred it when follow up appointments were made on the way out instead of being posted afterwards and all too often then clashing with another appointment or, pre-Covid, a holiday or business trip!
Good luck!

The procedure will much less of a hassle than the transportation.

Good luck

I have had a few injections and I was very nervous but the way that it is done is not as bad as it sounds The fact that you have drops that numb the eye and you cannot actually see the needle or the person who is injecting the eye because they are at the side of you as you lie back .You feel a slight pressure on your eye but that is all .and that is it !
Carol

Can't believe it! All psyched up for injection and it got cancelled 15 minutes ago. Lucky I did not miss text - was waiting for 6-digit security code. Had to cancel Patient Transport. Rang Ophthalmology to try and get non clashing date but no reply...

Can't believe it! All psyched up for injection and it got cancelled 15 minutes ago. Lucky I did not miss text - was waiting for 6-digit security code. Had to cancel Patient Transport. Rang Ophthalmology to try and get non clashing date but no reply...
Damn!

For me, the injections were actually not a big deal in the end. Quick, painless, a bit scratchy for a little while afterwards and sometimes an annoying floater, but generally less of a hassle than eye drops.

Good luck!
I know a few people who have had eye injections and I always wince at the thought and dread it happening to me. I am glad to read your post in case I ever am in that position.

After failing to get an answer on the phone on Friday (I am sure many NHS and council staff either do not work on Fridays or work from home!) I managed to speak with someone today. I now have an appointment on Friday week 14 weeks after the first appointment. Again they stressed how important it was but I feel that is just a mantra as I do not get the vibe. Maybe I am the only one that thinks it is. Afternoon appointment so till later!

After failing to get an answer on the phone on Friday (I am sure many NHS and council staff either do not work on Fridays or work from home!) I managed to speak with someone today. I now have an appointment on Friday week 14 weeks after the first appointment. Again they stressed how important it was but I feel that is just a mantra as I do not get the vibe. Maybe I am the only one that thinks it is. Afternoon appointment so till later!
Hopefully they will lock in dates for the follow-on injections, and not keep jerking you around like this.

Varies a lot from person to person, but the average course seems to be 6 shots at ~monthly intervals, which is what worked for me.

You start looking forward to the next one. (Well, that's not actually true!)

Back