Oh dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My dad seems to have wasted a load of money in thortons he arrived yesterday with a bag full of sweeties he had purchased all sugar free and diabetic freindly 🙄.I had to give him the speech that i wont be able to eat all those and i will never be off the toilet lol, so far my OH has had some mint truffles some fruit drops some turkish delights and a vanilla and fudge bar not in all one go mind you lol but I will partake in munching my way through the mint truffles very slowly and carefully.I just hope they dont effect me to much. x:(

I was a little bit surprised he did'nt know better living with a type 1 for 15 years who tells him all this sort of stuff.

Aww bless your Pa.

So many people don't realise what they do to us !! My mother in law kept buying me them and I had to explain they are no good.

I have lost count of the number of people who have said but you can have diabetic sweets. I think it is because people are trying to be kind and inclusive. My big boy will sometimes come in with diabetic jam or marmalade which it takes me ages to eat because he is trying to be helpfull.

Yeah my OH'S dad is just the same at xmas he bought me a big box of choccies lol, I know there only being polite and i never refuse them but i just dont want to risk a dicky tummy.

Yeah my OH'S dad is just the same at xmas he bought me a big box of choccies lol, I know there only being polite and i never refuse them but i just dont want to risk a dicky tummy.

In our family we try to ask each other what everyone wants for birthdays and Christmas. Is it worth trying out with yours? It is difficult sometimes buying everyone presents.

??? Am I only one who is lost??? Are we not allowed to have diabetic sweets??:confused:

My DSN said don't trust diabetic sweets if you want something sweet, have a real one just a little bit. But I thought it's still OK to have some diabetic ones.

I'm not a sweets eater anyway, so haven't touched them yet.

'how to kill diabetics with jam' How nice!!

KayC, if you eat too many diabetic sweets (or jam) with certain artificial sweeteners eg sorbitol, you'll spend too long on the toilet, as they affect bowels (trying to put it politely)!

We are allowed diabetic sweets if we want them, but we have to watch we don't eat too many as they have a laxative effect. There are also still carbs to take into consideration too.

All in all we are better off with a small ammount of non diabetic chocolate or sweets as a treat or after a meal.

Thanks Copepod and Caroline, now I understand...
I said I'm not a sweet eater, but I have a sweet spot (no pun) for cheese cakes. I was going to make healthy version of cheese cake by using quark cheese and artificial sweetener like Hermestus. I will just have a sliver of it.....It's probably OK, isn't it??

I said I'm not a sweet eater, but I have a sweet spot (no pun) for cheese cakes. I was going to make healthy version of cheese cake by using quark cheese and artificial sweetener like Hermestus. I will just have a sliver of it.....It's probably OK, isn't it??

Yeah homecooking is the best way to cook in my eyes, you know whats going into your food that way x

Home cooking is infinitely better than shop bought stuff, you know what's in it. If I am making cakes or am baking in general I tend to use real sugar and only have a little, but that is a personal call. My sister in law has a very bad reaction to artificial sweetners, so if I bake a cake for her it has to be real sugar.

You learn the things you can have and the things you can't have. We all need treats sometimes and as a balanced diet, a little wont hurt with or after a meal.

Thanks, guys:D

KayC - had to look this up, as I don't really use sweeteners, just very small amounts of sugar, except when specifically needed, and when my partner & I each bake about 2 cakes per year.

From Hermesetus website http://www.hermesetas.com/data/en/questions/what_form.php :

"In what form is Hermesetas available?

Hermesetas Tablets, based on Saccharin, is still rated by many as the best sweetener on the market.

Hermesetas Gold, which is based on a blend of Aspartame and Acesulfame-K, is for those who like a 'modern', refined sweetness.

Hermesetas tablets are suitable mainly for sweetening tea and coffee and other hot drinks. Hermesetas Tablets and Hermesetas Gold are available in pocket-size dispensers, table top dispensers and refill packs.

Hermesetas Granulated Sweetener with Fructofibres? is spoon for spoon as sweet as sugar, yet contains only 10% of the calories. It is suitable for cooking and baking or for sprinkling on fruit and breakfast cereal.

Hermesetas Liquid Sweetener is ten times sweeter than sugar. It is ideal for hot and cold drinks, desserts and for cooking and baking. Dishes sweetened with Hermesetas Tablets Liquid can be frozen or heated in the microwave without affecting the flavour."

So, it seems no form of Hermesetas is based on the laxative type sweetener, sorbitol. Other granulated sweeteners are available & suitable for baking eg Splenda, Sucron, supermarket own brands.

Has anyone tried Agave syrup as a sugar substitute in cooking? I occasionally use it drizzled on my home made sticky toffee pudding (instead of the toffee sauce). It's very sweet and sugar free and artificial sweetener free as well.

Has anyone tried Agave syrup as a sugar substitute in cooking? I occasionally use it drizzled on my home made sticky toffee pudding (instead of the toffee sauce). It's very sweet and sugar free and artificial sweetener free as well.

I'd never heard of it Vic! What's it made from and does it still have carbs in it?

Hi, Agave (which I get from Sainsburys) is made from the Blue Weber Agave plant (The same plant that they make tequila from). It is supposedly low GI but has 66g sugar per 100g (77g carbs), the sugar is fructose. (although Wikipedia states that it contains glucose).

It's made by: http://www.groovyfood.co.uk. I guess you would have to try it to see what it did to you.

Hi, Agave (which I get from Sainsburys) is made from the Blue Weber Agave plant (The same plant that they make tequila from). It is supposedly low GI but has 66g sugar per 100g (77g carbs), the sugar is fructose. (although Wikipedia states that it contains glucose).

It's made by: http://www.groovyfood.co.uk. I guess you would have to try it to see what it did to you.

Thanks Vic, I'll look out for it and give it a go 🙂

KayC - had to look this up, as I don't really use sweeteners, just very small amounts of sugar, except when specifically needed, and when my partner & I each bake about 2 cakes per year.

From Hermesetus website http://www.hermesetas.com/data/en/questions/what_form.php :

"In what form is Hermesetas available?

Hermesetas Tablets, based on Saccharin, is still rated by many as the best sweetener on the market.

Hermesetas Gold, which is based on a blend of Aspartame and Acesulfame-K, is for those who like a 'modern', refined sweetness.

Hermesetas tablets are suitable mainly for sweetening tea and coffee and other hot drinks. Hermesetas Tablets and Hermesetas Gold are available in pocket-size dispensers, table top dispensers and refill packs.

Hermesetas Granulated Sweetener with Fructofibres? is spoon for spoon as sweet as sugar, yet contains only 10% of the calories. It is suitable for cooking and baking or for sprinkling on fruit and breakfast cereal.

Hermesetas Liquid Sweetener is ten times sweeter than sugar. It is ideal for hot and cold drinks, desserts and for cooking and baking. Dishes sweetened with Hermesetas Tablets Liquid can be frozen or heated in the microwave without affecting the flavour."

So, it seems no form of Hermesetas is based on the laxative type sweetener, sorbitol. Other granulated sweeteners are available & suitable for baking eg Splenda, Sucron, supermarket own brands.

Wow, thank you Copepod, for all the investigaion. 🙂 Now I feel safe to use the product. We bought Hermesetas tablets and granules of all sweeteners because my hub said 'it's less intolerable' !! He's non diabetic, but recently had TIA at the tender age of 44, so needs to watch his diet, too.

I use this 🙂 its really good and doesnt really affect my levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back