OGTT - Adverse Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLivingDead

I've just read that the 75g glucose in water solution used for oral glucose tolerance test is equivalent to drinking 860ml of lucozade! How often do people with diabetes end up having bad reactions to taking in so much sugar over a short period? Is it unheard of for a visit to a&e?

Do you have diabetes or just curious ?
Before the sugar tax Lucozade was used for the pregnancy OGTT cause it contained 50g of pure glucose in one bottle.
Not anymore hence the need to drink 860ml nowadays for an equivalent.

Nobody does this btw, the surgeries all have pre-mixed solutions normally 300ml in volume.

I thought OGTT was rarely used any more and HBA1c is mostly used for diabetes diagnosis.

Interesting question @TheLivingDead - not something I’ve heard of having a negative impact. I had one when I was diagnosed, and my levels were pretty scary-high at the time.

Lucozade is only half the strength it used to bel of course (since the sugar tax)

I find carb totals can ften creep up on you. The last time i picked up a wrap, diet drink, packet of crisps, and flapjack for lunch at a service station, it totalled 90g of carbs! And hit my system pretty speedily, offset by the insulin I took for it.

When I picked up the items it didn’t seem a particularly extreme choice, and I was quite surprised when I totted it up, and saw hoe much it was. (having said that, the flapjack was a cheeky little extra!)

Not sure what a standard sized bowl of cornflakes would amount to, but cornflakes have a higher GI than table sugar.

When I had a GTT over 20years ago they used a special drink in a bottle it was not Lucozade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back