Office Workers Beware: Sitting Time Associated With Increased Risk of Chronic Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The more you sit, the higher your risk of chronic diseases. Kansas State University researcher Richard Rosenkranz, assistant professor of human nutrition, examined the associations of sitting time and chronic diseases in middle-aged Australian males in a study that is published in the International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.

Collaborators include University of Western Sydney researchers Emma George and Gregory Kolt.

The study's sample included 63,048 males ages 45-65 from the Australian state of New South Wales. Study participants reported the presence or absence of various chronic diseases, along with their daily sitting time: categorized as less than four hours, four to six hours, six to eight hours, or more than eight hours.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130218132357.htm

Time spent sitting may raise chronic disease risk

"Stand up if you want to stay healthy, warn researchers," the Daily Mail reports, as a large study has found an association between time spent sitting down and chronic disease.
The study surveyed middle-aged Australian men at one point in time. It found that after adjusting for other factors associated with disease (such as body mass index and physical activity levels) men who said that they sat for more than four hours a day were at increased risk of being diagnosed with a chronic disease, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
When these chronic diseases were examined separately, sitting for more than six hours a day was associated with increased odds of diabetes, and sitting for at least eight hours a day was associated with increased odds of high blood pressure.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/Februar...tting-may-raise-risk-of-chronic-diseases.aspx

(NHS Choices)

Just fab!!! I have a desk job too, I get up as often as I can to go to the photocopier, looking for documents, going to see colleagues etc, but the majority of the time I am sat at my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back