Offered Medtronic 780g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette Arundell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have posted on Diabetes UK a few times, as had many problems, due to on going problems brittle diabetes, and trying many different background insulin I have now been offered Medtronic 780g pump, but will have to self fund Guardian 4 sensors to have closed loop, which I was told would be best for me, I have researched pump and had Webimar with Medtronic, but very nervous of making change, I have just emailed consultant to say I would like to try, I don't know what or how long training will be, but saw on line you can't use sensors straight away, can anyone give me any information about using it, as I have had so many problems with health since covid 18 months ago when I worked in care sector, retired now , I have tried different insulins, timings and doses, been diabetic since 2005, told I was late onset type 1 straight away as no tablets worked, and ended up in hospital on insulin, I was a healthy weight. I have now lost loads of weight, and have high blood pressure, and other problems. Hope to at least get diabetes controlled, as it was before covid. Any information regarding pumping in general and Medtronic 780g, would be welcome, thank you all so much, I have had good support and information in the past from you all .

i have been using the 780 in a closed loop for 18 months. It has definitely been a big bonus for me.
pit took some getting used to, having to trust the pump to do what I had been doing and thinking about for so many years. However now I trust it to do most of my work and accept that sometimes it wants a bit of attention , as it is not sure what to do.

firs away with any questions and very happy to help If I can.

i have been using the 780 in a closed loop for 18 months. It has definitely been a big bonus for me.
pit took some getting used to, having to trust the pump to do what I had been doing and thinking about for so many years. However now I trust it to do most of my work and accept that sometimes it wants a bit of attention , as it is not sure what to do.

firs away with any questions and very happy to help If I can.

Hi thanks for reply, do you get a lot of training? Very nervous about it all, waiting to hear back from consultant, the sensor looks a nightmare to put on, I've got libre 2 at moment , but obviously I need something smarter which will communicate with pump, but seems a lot to it which could go wrong at times? 🙄

The training was absolutely brilliant. It went at my pace and additional sessions slotted in when I found the switch from old pump to the new one, along with Brexit delays and other issues too much. I got used to the pump and the sensor just doing alarms and insulin suspension on low. I then went into the closed loop system.

it is understandable to be nervous about any change. Just ask for any help that you need and take things step by step.

I inserted my sensor at the training into my abdomen. It was straight forward, but more involved than the Libre. I now do them into my upper arm, in a similar position to the Libre, but my OH puts it in. If I do it myself, such as when I am away, I return to using the abdomen. The Medtronic videos are very straight forward and you can pause it as necessary, now it is second nature.

hapoy to help in any way that I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back