Obtaining a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've seen some threads here where people are saying they are so happy with their pumps. Is there a criteria for getting issued with a pump? I've been diabetic for 15 years, my blood sugars are normally in good control although have been rather low lately. I'm slightly underweight and doing 4 injections a day. 3 novorapid and 1 lantus.

Can anyone get a pump if they ask or do you have to meet a criteria?

I've always wondered what it's like to have a pump as i don't know anyone that has one. But if you have to have it on you all the time then where do you keep it? Does the main bit of it clip to a belt or go in a pocket?

There are criteria that they use to decide whether you are eligible for a pump, and unfortunately it very much depends on where you live as to whether your PCT is supportive of pumps. Less than 5% of Type 1s in England have pumps - even lower in Scotland - compared to around 35% in the US and (I think) 40% in Germany :( Have a browse of Input's website:

http://www.input.me.uk/

I don't pump so can't answer your other questions, but I'm sure someone will be along who can! 🙂

I've seen some threads here where people are saying they are so happy with their pumps. Is there a criteria for getting issued with a pump? I've been diabetic for 15 years, my blood sugars are normally in good control although have been rather low lately. I'm slightly underweight and doing 4 injections a day. 3 novorapid and 1 lantus.

Can anyone get a pump if they ask or do you have to meet a criteria?

I've always wondered what it's like to have a pump as i don't know anyone that has one. But if you have to have it on you all the time then where do you keep it? Does the main bit of it clip to a belt or go in a pocket?

Hi Clarkey,
Alan has given you the link to INPUT which is the best source for info.
A pump can be placed in your pocket or worn on a belt. Some use tubi grip or holsters to have them on limbs. Females do hang them from their bras or even tucken in them.
My pump is in my pocket all day long and attached to my pj's at night. After a very short time you just do not notice the pump at all.

The way the NICE guidelines are worded means that anyone can actualy qualify for a pump. Just read them and interpret them to your own advantage.
You do have to realise though that pumping is a lot of hard work and not plug and play ie. the pump is only as good as the user 🙂
A lot does also depend on if your consultant are pump friendly. If you think you will benefit from a pump and they so no ask for reason's in writting then address the issues go and ask again, if still no joy then ask for a referal to a pump friendly clinic.

And Clarkey if you don't wear PJ's, you put El Pumpo by the side of you - there's a piece of tubing from it to the canula - and when you turn over in your sleep it just comes with you.

Mine doesn't have a clip actually on ot, I have a skin on mine, with a clip so can attach to waistband etc. if am not wearing anything with big enough pockets. I also have a couple of lanyards (useful on the beach!) and a sort of very soft thin belt so if I was wearing summat (eg a dress LOL) straight up and down and not fitted to my waist, I could wear it under that dress. My one has a remote so I wouldn't have to get undressed to use the pump (eg to tell it to deliver a bolus)

You do entirely forget about it!

I know from another thread you have your name on the list for DAFNE and I would seriously suggest you do that first because it's pretty essential to understand both the principles and the 'reasons' why stuff happens in the body and with your insulin, in order to make sense out of using a pump. However - you may find that the DAFNE course provides you with sufficient ability to control your BG absolutely beautifully with MDI, and don't feel you have any pressing need for one after all - you'll have to see.

In our area (Coventry), you have to do the course and prove by results thereafter that you now understand exactly how to do it and are (usually LOL, we all make mistakes!) doing the correct things when 'this' or 'that' happens - in order for them to say Yes, OK, we'll get you a pump!

FWIW, my A1c has never been brilliant. Twice in my life I had had results under 7.5. Other than that, always above that. Never above 8-point-something. After just a few months on my pump - 6.5. I cried ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back