Observations about pump 6 months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberzak

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
so I've been on the pump for 6 months now. I have my review coming up next month, and I need to write a piece about my own observations. So thought I'd write it here first.

I've noticed ive changed the boundary of what I call high. It used to be that if my sugars were above 15, I'd say they were too high. Now, it's if it is above 10 I consider it too high. I also panic less when I do have those high sugars, because I can usually figure out what happened.

I've had 3 readings in the last month that are lower than 4 but higher than 3. And one reading where I dropped under three, while decorating the Christmas tree. I used to hypo daily, sometimes more than once a day.

I'm eating less, and I don't feel like I constantly have to eat to keep my blood sugar up. And I'm no longer over treating my hypos when I have them. The result is that I'm swinging much less. Even my mum observed when I went to stay that I didn't moan about constantly needing food every 4 hours. There's been some days when I'm busy when it gets to 4-5pm and I suddenly realise I've not eaten anything since breakfast. And I'm fine, with no hypo. Hopefully that means now I can start to lose weight.

I feel far more confident. If I'm eating on the go, I can give myself a bolus without the embarrassment of having to inject myself, and the ability to change my basal rate to my needs means that I can fine tune to what I'm doing (for example, I need a higher basal rate when I'm watching a film at the cinema, but a lower basal rate when I go to London for the day with my friend, but over night I still need the same amount).

Having something attached to me all the time isn't as big a deal as I was concerned it could be. The only issue I've had is at night, sometimes my husband rolls on my pump and then it snags as I roll over. But it's really not that big a deal.

Overall, the insulin pump has made me feel more like my old self again, and my diabetes management doesn't feel as much of a burden as it did before, mainly because I'm not swinging like I was so I feel I'm more in control. I'm bolusing for what I eat rather than feeding the insulin.

Friends have noticed I am far more relaxed, and they no longer fear the constant threat of me passing out that used to all be hanging over us for a day out.

The insulin pump has literally changed my life in ways that are, in some ways, unquantifiable.

How's that? Do you think that's okay?

Fab write up! Glad it's been such a positive experience for you 🙂. I would say the same to anyone, it's a life changer, totally improves one's quality of life, and the "something hanging off you all the time" doesn't matter after the first 24 hours. Anyone hesitating about a pump - go for it!

Very well thought out review, well done. So quality of life gets 10/10 then?

Pleased for you ! I do too (love my pump) 😎😎 Well written

Great post Amberzak - so pleased the pump has worked so well fo you.

Nice.....I think many of us are nodding in agreement!

Very well written Amberzak. 🙂 Highlights all the reasons why I'm going to be discussing pumps at my next review.

I'm really, really pleased for you, Amberzak. It sounds like your life has improved 1000%!:D

Sounds great Amberzak. The most important bit there for me to stress to those medical professionals is the increased confidence, as many as possible should realise that the value of a pump doesn't just lie in the last resort pile, that actually giving people tools that allow them to manage effectively and feel confident in their ability to control their condition is key to providing a good quality of life. I'm so pleased you're enjoying the pump, long may it continue. Just in case the medicals don't say it, well done for hanging in there and challenging your fears, you've done tremendously well, I'm proud of you 🙂

I'm really pleased you are getting on so well with your pump Amberzak and it has made such a difference to how you feel. 🙂

Improving the quality of life, limiting the fear of hypos and generally improving well being are invaluable things and because they aren't quantifiable like an HbA1c they are often overlooked. Good stuff 🙂

Great post Amberzak. I think most of us know exactly what you mean.

And I bet you'll see a big difference in your HbA1c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back