Obesity gets blame for Sussex's soaring diabetes bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The bill for treating people with diabetes across Sussex is soaring.

More than 1.1 million prescriptions for the condition were handed out in the county last year at a cost of ?24.4 million. This is a rise of more than 5% on the year before.

Doctors have blamed the increase on ever-rising levels of obesity as people eat unhealthily and become less active.

Work across Sussex to cut obesity levels and reduce the chance of developing diabetes includes free swimming sessions for children in Brighton and Hove, exercise and healthy eating programmes and health checks to assess whether people are at risk.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9874245.Obesity_gets_blame_for_Sussex_s_soaring_diabetes_bill/

I would blame the GP's who cannot wait to hand out the metformin without giving the patient the chance to try diet and exercise. I was treated as though I was mad when I refused the prescription!

It's almost as though there is something in it for gps to have lots of drug dependant patients.......

I would blame the GP's who cannot wait to hand out the metformin without giving the patient the chance to try diet and exercise. I was treated as though I was mad when I refused the prescription!

It's almost as though there is something in it for gps to have lots of drug dependant patients.......

I suspect that it's a lack of willingness on the part of some GPs to actually consider the patient as an individual, instead just ticking a box for treatment protocols. :(

My GP's a tightwad. I'm gobsmacked I wasn't advised to try dieting first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back