Oat milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Afternoon everyone a bit of a chilly one here. I have switched from Soya to Oat milk in my porridge. I have noticed my numbers are a nightmare before lunch. Methinks it's the Oat Milk. Anyone have a suggestion what to have instead? Cheers

@snowball12 I was shocked to see how many carbs are in some of the oat milks! Not sure how you feel about going back to soya milk, having already switched from it, but I was using the Alpro soya no sugars one which worked well in porridge. From memory, that particular one has no carbs. I think almond milk is another viable alternative (my mum uses this in her porridge). Let us know if you find an alternative that you like!

Afternoon everyone a bit of a chilly one here. I have switched from Soya to Oat milk in my porridge. I have noticed my numbers are a nightmare before lunch. Methinks it's the Oat Milk. Anyone have a suggestion what to have instead? Cheers
I assume you want an alternative to cows milk which is low carb. Maybe go back to the soya milk. The oat milk is making high carb porridge even higher.

What made you switch from soya? If you can, go back to soya, it’s virtually carb free.

Porridge with oat milk will make for quite a high carb brekkie.

I second the almond sugar free on my oats, good taste. I also use the almond with sugar in my coffee - about half the carbs of cows milk

I like Koko coconut milk. It’s ideal for cereal, seems more stable than soya milk, and is the only non-dairy milk I drink by the glass. Note: it is not the coconut milk used for cooking, it’s a dairy milk substitute in a carton, fresh or longlife. I have the original but there’s an unsweetened one too which is very low carb:

640x640.jpg

Koko Unsweetened No Sugar M!lk 12 x 1L | Tastes like Dairy & No Added Sugar | No Dairy, No Soya, Just Plants | Allergen Free | UHT Ambient Long Life | 19 Calories Per 100ml

My fears are confirmed lol. I was on soya for years and I fancied a change. I will definitely be trying everything you have all suggested. Thank you so much

Almond trees, where do they grow? (plus the fact an awful lot of em have died in recent years due to lack of water, due to global warming let alone then importing almonds or things sourced from them) Soya beans , where do they like growing? Ah, just clear some rain forest and start farming them cos there's a huge market worldwide. Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera - to quote the King and I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soy milk is much more environmentally friendly than dairy.

But oat milk probably more than soy.

I alternate between soy and oat milk. More health benefits to soy. But oat doesn't curdle in my coffee :D

Soy milk is much more environmentally friendly than dairy.

But oat milk probably more than soy.

I alternate between soy and oat milk. More health benefits to soy. But oat doesn't curdle in my coffee :D
I suppose it depends on how much you have in your coffee as it is 16g carb per 100ml, so it could mount up if you have lots of cups a day.

I suppose it depends on how much you have in your coffee as it is 16g carb per 100ml, so it could mount up if you have lots of cups a day.

Eeek! That must be a sweetened one?

The Alpro ‘red label’ no sugars one we usually have is 5.8g/100ml

Asda were out of it last time so I got the alternative Alpro unsweetened (beige label) which is 6.5/100ml

I use that for cooking / white sauces etc, and others in the house have it in drinks.

For tea/coffee I still prefer semi skimmed (which is 4.3g/100ml).

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any BG difference between the cow milk and plant milk in my use.

I’ve also steered away from regular use of soya and almond because of worries about the environmental impact.

There are pea and hemp milks too, but I’ve not really clicked with any of those.

Coconut has too much flavour influence for me, but a friend actively prefers it in coffee.

Eeek! That must be a sweetened one?

The Alpro ‘red label’ no sugars one we usually have is 5.8g/100ml

Asda were out of it last time so I got the alternative Alpro unsweetened (beige label) which is 6.5/100ml

I use that for cooking / white sauces etc, and others in the house have it in drinks.

For tea/coffee I still prefer semi skimmed (which is 4.3g/100ml).

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any BG difference between the cow milk and plant milk in my use.

I’ve also steered away from regular use of soya and almond because of worries about the environmental impact.

There are pea and hemp milks too, but I’ve not really clicked with any of those.

Coconut has too much flavour influence for me, but a friend actively prefers it in coffee.
Yes you are right, not as bad as it first appeared, if you look at the Alpro ones, even the 'original is pretty low carbs.
I'm not sure which one popped up when I looked.

Almond trees, where do they grow? (plus the fact an awful lot of em have died in recent years due to lack of water, due to global warming let alone then importing almonds or things sourced from them) Soya beans , where do they like growing? Ah, just clear some rain forest and start farming them cos there's a huge market worldwide. Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera - to quote the King and I.
Ah I understand now, I try and do my but for the environment but my health comes first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back