• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Nuts!

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Anitram in another thread mentioned nuts and toothache. Martin, I may have done the same thing. I’ve recently taken to snacking on nuts. Lidl has a good selection of nuts and I especially like the Brazil nuts. But I’m also mildly addicted to KP salted peanuts in their new resealable packet. I was out of KPs and was passing a Pound Shop on Saturday so bought a pack of no brand salted peanuts. What could go wrong? A peanut is a peanut Is a peanut.

We know that with wine a grape isn’t just a grape. We know with coffee that a bean isn’t just a bean. And I now know that a peanut isn’t just a peanut. I had a handful and threw the rest of the packet away.

What are your favourite nuts, folks?

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get nuts from Grapetree when they let us know there is an offer on - I have never found a bad one, they are really fresh and tasty.
In these times there is the added advantage of being delivered very efficiently.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I rarely eat nuts these days but cashews and pecans had to be my 2 favourites xx

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I love nuts! I like them all really, but walnuts always make me a bit nervous as the bad ones are seriously disgusting!

My favourite nuts are brazil nuts, macadamia nuts and chestnuts. I also like nut butters.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Check the carb content though as quite a few things called nuts are not, botanically, nuts - the joys of having a B.Sc.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Check the carb content though as quite a few things called nuts are not, botanically, nuts - the joys of having a B.Sc.
I didn’t know that, but habitually I check carbs on all labels now.

Billy Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get nuts from Grapetree when they let us know there is an offer on - I have never found a bad one, they are really fresh and tasty.
In these times there is the added advantage of being delivered very efficiently.
We get ours from grape tree and sun dried tomatoes which are great for use in loads of dishes

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes mix chopped walnut pieces with strawberries and Greek yogurt as a dessert but for a snack I'll grab a pack of Graze (Chilli & Lime flavour) or a Dk Chocolate & Sea Salt Nut bar. Stopped grabbing a handful of cashews a while back as gram for gram they have a lot more carbs than other nuts.

I've left the nuts alone today as I don't want to risk absent-mindedly biting down with my loose crown, and tea tonight was a Tuna & Pasta Bake as it didn't involve much chewing.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes. I can't quite understand why people can have severe allergic reaction to peanuts which are legumes yet be fine with peas and beans also legumes. Grape tree also a favourite place for nuts etc. I was so pleased that they set up after the demise of Julian Graves, the same people as I understand it.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
KP salted peanuts with a glass of chilled white wine.
Walnuts with greek yoghurt.
Almonds any othee time.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes mix chopped walnut pieces with strawberries and Greek yogurt as a dessert but for a snack I'll grab a pack of Graze (Chilli & Lime flavour) or a Dk Chocolate & Sea Salt Nut bar. Stopped grabbing a handful of cashews a while back as gram for gram they have a lot more carbs than other nuts.

I've left the nuts alone today as I don't want to risk absent-mindedly biting down with my loose crown, and tea tonight was a Tuna & Pasta Bake as it didn't involve much chewing.
Some good ideas there, thanks.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
KP salted peanuts with a glass of chilled white wine.
Walnuts with greek yoghurt.
Almonds any othee time.
Sounds good. I’m very fond of crémant at the moment. I collect Nectar points and use them at Sainsbury’s when they have 25% off on six bottles.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’d not heard of Grapetree so will check them out.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sounds good. I’m very fond of crémant at the moment. I collect Nectar points and use them at Sainsbury’s when they have 25% off on six bottles.
Needs to be a Sauvignon Blanc for me with stuffed green olives if i have no nuts

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Needs to be a Sauvignon Blanc for me with stuffed green olives if i have no nuts
Yes to olives too. Kalamatas for me, though I love a good quality stuffed green too.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone else like pickled walnuts? I love ‘em.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Nuts are triffic. But I avoid peanuts these days - lots of saturated fat, and they had a surprisingly big impact on my LDL level when I was using them as a calorie & protein "gap filler". And no salted nuts for me - bad for the BP.

(Yes, saturated fat does increase LDL levels, and increasing LDL levels does increase CV risk.)

(I appreciate that many would not classify peanuts as nuts, but this kind of thing always reminds me of the time my niece asked me why dolphins aren't fish: they have fins, they live in the water ... The category "fish" isn't something which actually exists; it's something we create, and if you want to use having fins and hanging out in the water as the definition, nobody can say you're "wrong". Similarly, if you want to use "food stuff sold by nut vendor" as the definition of "nut".)

Catherine Lindsay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can we eat nuts just willy and indeed nilly? I'm finding that I'm getting a bit snack/food phobic. I'm doing well on my main meals but for snacks I'm stressing over cos I don't know if I'm ment to include them in my carbs count or not. Usually I snack on peppers, cheese, cucumber, tomatoes and small amounts of fruit. Nuts are morish so if I'm going to go down the nutty route should I weigh out little bags of them???? Think I'm going nuts

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good points raised by @Eddy Edson and @Catherine Lindsay.

There are a number of things we each have to balance to remain healthy, especially as we get older, and made especially difficult if we have full time, sedentary jobs.

Should we count the carbs in snacks? In theory, yes. But with a comprehensive food diary I don’t often actually add up the carbs in a day. I rely now on what I know from my food diary and regular testing with my trusty meter.

Until very recently I’d completely eliminated snacks and need to address this latest mild addiction to KP peanuts. My weight is drifting in the wrong direction too and I’m addressing that.