Nuts 'may help combat diabetes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Eating nuts may help to combat Type 2 diabetes, new research suggests.

Two-servings of tree nuts a day appears to lower and stabilise blood sugar levels in people with the disease, according to evidence collected from 12 clinical trials.

Tree nuts include most nut types, including walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts and pecans, but exclude peanuts, which are technically legumes.

Nut consumption improved two key markers of blood sugar, the results from analysing data on 450 trial participants showed.

One, the HbA1c test, measures blood sugar levels over three months. The other, the fasting glucose test, assesses blood sugar after the patient has not eaten for eight hours.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nuts-may-help-combat-diabetes-180007825.html#LEi6WUd

Back in the 1990s, when I was on the Usenet diabetes forums, there were plenty of nuts, and none of them were the least bit helpful. 😱 One of the worst was the militant vegetarian called Ironjustice (or Moronjustice as I preferred to call him) who repeatedly claimed that the presence of iron in the diet was the cause of all illness; he had clearly never heard of anaemia, for a start. 🙄

Back in the 1990s, when I was on the Usenet diabetes forums, there were plenty of nuts, and none of them were the least bit helpful. 😱 One of the worst was the militant vegetarian called Ironjustice (or Moronjustice as I preferred to call him) who repeatedly claimed that the presence of iron in the diet was the cause of all illness; he had clearly never heard of anaemia, for a start. 🙄

Or perhaps that some of the best sources of iron are vegetables 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back