Nutri-Brex and High Blood Sugar Levels

SWAN2019

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As well as type 2 diabetes, I also can't have gluten. There is a gluten free version of Weetabix that is actually lower in carbs and sugar than Weetabix, made with sorghum. I also can't have lactose so have lactose free milk, which has half the sugar of normal milk. When I have this for breakfast with 200ml of milk, I find my blood sugars spike really quick (10.9 this morning within half an hour of eating, went up to over 14, now 13.3 one and a half hours after eating, when from what I read they shouldn't go so high after this type of food. I don't get such a problem after a nutty protein bar despite them having more carb and sugar. Brown bread also seems to be worse that white. Does anyone else have these issues?

I never could find a cereal that absorbed slowly enough to match ‘rapid’ insulin I’m afraid. However much fibre was included it was always very difficult to manage post-meal glucose rises. Even the famously ‘slow release’ porridge was like rocket fuel.

I do get a rapid rise from bread if ai don’t give the insulin enough of a head start. Choosing rye, or seeded versions helps a little. And freezing and thawing the bread helps a small amount too I find.

I don’t have any experience without the benefit of injected insulin. But some ‘normal’ non-sugary foods are as tricky to handle for me as cakes and puddings!

I never could find a cereal that absorbed slowly enough to match ‘rapid’ insulin I’m afraid. However much fibre was included it was always very difficult to manage post-meal glucose rises. Even the famously ‘slow release’ porridge was like rocket fuel.

I do get a rapid rise from bread if ai don’t give the insulin enough of a head start. Choosing rye, or seeded versions helps a little. And freezing and thawing the bread helps a small amount too I find.

I don’t have any experience without the benefit of injected insulin. But some ‘normal’ non-sugary foods are as tricky to handle for me as cakes and puddings!
I have the same issue with porridge too.

The diabetes diagnosis was just less than a year a ago. A few years before that I was not even classed as pre-diabetic. Interestingly I have always found that the so called 'slow release' cereals like porridge that should keep you full up left me starving a short time later. I have less issue with potato and feel full up for far longer

The diabetes diagnosis was just less than a year a ago. A few years before that I was not even classed as pre-diabetic. Interestingly I have always found that the so called 'slow release' cereals like porridge that should keep you full up left me starving a short time later. I have less issue with potato and feel full up for far longer
The Keto Hana Granolas are gluten and dairy free and low carb. Available on line or H & B but rather expensive.

As well as type 2 diabetes, I also can't have gluten. There is a gluten free version of Weetabix that is actually lower in carbs and sugar than Weetabix, made with sorghum. I also can't have lactose so have lactose free milk, which has half the sugar of normal milk. When I have this for breakfast with 200ml of milk, I find my blood sugars spike really quick (10.9 this morning within half an hour of eating, went up to over 14, now 13.3 one and a half hours after eating, when from what I read they shouldn't go so high after this type of food. I don't get such a problem after a nutty protein bar despite them having more carb and sugar. Brown bread also seems to be worse that white. Does anyone else have these issues?
Hi, I am exactly like you, gluten and lactose intolerant. Diabetes is a nightmare for me. Have you tried soya milk as it has zero carbs. I have had soya most of my life so perhaps it's easier for me. I also have problems with porridge!!! I now have lactose free Greek yoghurt and fruit, usually berries as they are lower in carbs than most fruits. I don't enjoy it much but I have to eat! Here if you have more questions

Back