Nurses say health trusts 'must publish staff level'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Nursing leaders are calling on health trusts to publish and explain their staffing levels at least twice a year.

The call comes amid concern over reported neglect and abuse in hospitals and care homes.

Chief Nursing Officer for England Jane Cummings will tell a conference in Manchester that such failings are a betrayal of all that nurses stand for.

The Patients Association has welcomed the plans, but says they need to be translated into action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20583115

One of the biggest problems with the NHS these days is that in the last 10 - 15 years most consultants, GPs and nursing staff have developed an attitude that their's is a 9 - 5, Monday thru Friday job. However the same people seem to think others can work 24x7 in supermarkets, etc. Healthcare is a vocation but this attitude has reduced it a mere job instead. Our local garage will sometimes work the extra half hour/hour to finish a customer's car whereas there is a stampede at the end of the day at the end of the day at most hospitals!

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems with the NHS these days is that in the last 10 - 15 years most consultants, GPs and nursing staff have developed an attitude that their's is a 9 - 5, Monday thru Friday job. However the same people seem to think others can work 24x7 in supermarkets, etc. Healthcare is a vocation but this attitude has reduced it a mere job instead. Our local garage will sometimes work the extra half hour/hour to finish a customer's car whereas there is a stampede at the end of the day at the end of the day at most hospitals!

Hmm...certainly don't agree about the nursing staff. When I was in hospital watching what the nurses were having to do in 12-hour shifts left me very humbled and respectful of the job they do. I'd suggest it is a minority, not 'most' staff who are clockwatchers. Fixing cars is different from fixing humans as well - I'd prefer not to be treated by people who can't keep their eyes open! I think that the problems of the last 10-15 years are more due to understaffing and top heavy management rather than people not 'going the extra mile'. It must be massively demotivating and frustrating for staff to be working their socks off and still getting criticism for backlogs and problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back