Numbness and tingling behind my knees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Could it really be anxiety as one of my GPs suggested ? I have never ever had this symptom and I am convinced it's neuropathy

It's really worrying me and affecting my quality of life

I’m no medic but doesn’t neuropathy mostly affect your extremities? I would think it would start in your toes/feet first before reaching behind your knees. Are your BGs out of control? Have you been diabetic for many years? If not, it’s probably unlikely. Could it be common and garden pins and needles brought on by sitting awkwardly? I would listen to your GP, he has a lot more experience than any of us on here.

I’m no medic but doesn’t neuropathy mostly affect your extremities? I would think it would start in your toes/feet first before reaching behind your knees. Are your BGs out of control? Have you been diabetic for many years? If not, it’s probably unlikely. Could it be common and garden pins and needles brought on by sitting awkwardly? I would listen to your GP, he has a lot more experience than any of us on here.

You are of course most likely right but the anxiety I have always suffered with since I can remember makes these feelings a huge monster

And they feel real

I was hunkered down cleaning out one of the chicken coops today and got really bad pins and needles in the back of my knees presumably because the nerves were nipped retaining that posture for quite a while. Sciatica can also cause this sensation in the back of your knees and can run down the back of your legs to your heels and up through your buttocks. That is also caused by a trapped nerve. One of the best things for improving this nerve pain for me is walking. It also helps with anxiety and stimulates blood flow which keeps the feet and toes healthier and improves diabetes management, so in many respects walking is a bit of a cure all.in my opinion. It has even improved my asthma. I would highly recommend you to get out and swing your legs and get some fresh air if you are able, as that may well help all of it, especially if it is the start of neuropathy but by the sound of it, it's unlikely to start in the knees as @eggyg says above, so probably just a trapped nerve.

Hope you are able to manage your anxiety levels @Taffyboyslim and get some relief from the aches and pains in your legs.

Do you take Metformin? I seem to remember some here mentioning a link between reduced vit B12 that Met can cause, and pins and needles. But I have no idea how common that is. If your conversations with your GP are ongoing you could mention that and see if they think a B12 check is worthwhile?

Magnesium can help with things like cramps, a gel which you rub in.
You could try some stretching exercises as there may be a trapped nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back