Numbness and Pins And Needles Still An Issue For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's keeping me awake at night , anyone else getting this ?

My tiredness and urination is still with me but less of a problem than it was . My levels are down from 82 to 57 after 6 months of metformin and attention to diet .

I am on just 2 x 500 metformin a day after having too many bowel movements on 3 daily .

Maybe the addition of another med may help ?

Have you had your Vit B12 checked?

I have had two full blood counts ?
I think it would need to be specified separately on the blood request form.
The full blood count or FBC is a test that measures how many blood cells there are in your
blood. It measures how many red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets there are. The
numbers of the different blood cells are often talked about as the ‘counts’.
The FBC also measures how much haemoglobin there is in the blood. Haemoglobin is a
protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen around the body.
So would not include the vit B12 test.

Another vote to get your B12 checked, particularly as you are on Metformin which can negatively affect your ability to absorb B12 from food and being on a low carb diet often reduces the amount of B12 that you consume anyway... it being a component of wheat and some cereals and breads being fortified with it..... which you are likely now eating less of.

Unfortunately, if Metformin is affecting your ability to absorb it, taking a B complex supplement may not help and you may need injections if you are found to be deficient.
Do discuss it with your GP and ask to be tested.

B12 is required for the health of the nervous system I believe. The tingling/pins and needles/numbness is a recognized symptom of a deficit which is why so many of us are suggesting it.... and because it can be a side effect of the Metformin, diabetics are more prone to it, which is why we occasionally hear about it on the forum.

It might turn out not to be a B12 deficit, but it is a relatively simple test to check it out.

Nerve cells require B12, and Metformin can unfortunately prevent its absorption in the gut, so taking tablets/food may not work.

Some people get short term nerve discomfort when their levels and average BG improve over a relatively short period of time. It can be a sign of nerve endings repairing themselves - I think @Pattidevans had experience of this?

Hope your tingling and numbness settle down soon, and ease as your BG levels begin to stabilise @Taffyboyslim

Some people get short term nerve discomfort when their levels and average BG improve over a relatively short period of time. It can be a sign of nerve endings repairing themselves - I think @Pattidevans had experience of this?

Hope your tingling and numbness settle down soon, and ease as your BG levels begin to stabilise @Taffyboyslim

I am seeing my GP this morning to discuss everything , including B12

Thanks for your advice

I am seeing my GP this morning to discuss everything , including B12

Thanks for your advice

Hope it’s a good appointment. Keep us posted with what they say 🙂

It was fine , Dr said in her opinion it was related to high blood sugar and continuing the medication would improve things

Are you saying that your Dr wouldn't check your B12 levels because she believed the pins and needles were caused by the diabetes or that your B12 levels were fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back