Numb toes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I've noticed my big toes feel a little numb on the outside edges and I have a line of rslightly red spots under the skin on one toe - does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Doesn't ring any bells with me but I suggest you get a podiatrist appointment asap. Contact the clinic where you go for an appointment but if they muck you around then see one privately.

One of my friends is a podiatrist and she is an NHS one as well part time. We often chat diabetes and feet and she said it is sooooo important to nip anything in the bud as soon as you see something.

Please get it checked out.

Hi, I've had intermittent problems with my toes (esppecially big toes) since diagnosis. Apparently, getting your levels under control can cause pain for a while when the nerve endings become more sensitive. I had a lot of redness and blistering during the winter, plus sharp pain and also numbness. The podiatrist said it was chilblains (which I have never had before in all my 50 years!) when saw her on April, and now they have healed and look normal.

However, I am still aware that the tips of the toes do not feel right - sometimes numb, sometimes sharp pains, but nothing horrid. I would definitely see a podiatrist asap - I intend to book an appointment soon to see if mine are OK.

Thanks to you both - haven't had any pain, but will make an appointment Monday - you too Northerner eh? 🙂

I've noticed my big toes feel a little numb on the outside edges and I have a line of rslightly red spots under the skin on one toe - does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Get it checked out, even for the piece of mind that you were worrying over nothing.

I have lumps on the heals of both my feet, been there years, see the feet people who establish I have no sensation in my feet (nothing new for me) then tell me not to worry unless they become painful! How will I know when my feet and now my legs are numb? Am I missing something? 🙄

hmmm, as people have mentioned blistering, ive had that recently. Nasty stuff. No numbness though (all in the mind the nurse said cuz my feeling in me feet was perfect apparently). I've been using canestan fungal cream to treat mine, particularly due to moving and will have to register with a new place before seeing a food person whatever they're called 🙂

I always understood that people with diabetes were entitled to free podietry treatment, but I have no idea how it works.
Do you need a GP referal or can you just book it yourself. Anyone know?

I always understood that people with diabetes were entitled to free podietry treatment, but I have no idea how it works.

I think you can refer yourself. Certainly I have to contact them every year for my screening.. but I guess it changes PCT to PCT. Ask your doc next time you see them.

Get it checked out, even for the piece of mind that you were worrying over nothing.

I have lumps on the heals of both my feet, been there years, see the feet people who establish I have no sensation in my feet (nothing new for me) then tell me not to worry unless they become painful! How will I know when my feet and now my legs are numb? Am I missing something? 🙄
Hmmmm bit of a conumdrum! Hope you don't mind me asking - is it due to your diabetes?
I've also got slight numbness in last two toes on left foot and on side of left leg, but that's from the last bad bout of sciatica apparently I have no reaction in my achiles tendon when hit with a rubber hammer! (No, I'm not accepting offers to try bashing it with a metal one!)

I think so alan, but my diabetes foot check seems to consist of the practice nurse giving them a once over, once a year. I'll check with the GP.

As Einstein says, it must vary from one PCT to another. I was refered to the podiatrist by my GP, and they send me an appointment every 3 months, they cut my toenails and check all parts of the feet each visit.

dunno about numbness but i aint half getting pins and needles alot in my toes it b*****y hurts as well

hmmm, as people have mentioned blistering, ive had that recently. Nasty stuff. No numbness though (all in the mind the nurse said cuz my feeling in me feet was perfect apparently). I've been using canestan fungal cream to treat mine, particularly due to moving and will have to register with a new place before seeing a food person whatever they're called 🙂

Hope it clears up for you soon - I don't expect the clammy weather helps. I occassionally have to resort to the athletes foot powder, but better now its summer and I wear open sndals/shoes most of the time.

Split skin round the heels is another on-going battle - anyone else get that? Treat mine with diprobase cream night and morning, and a file.

dunno about numbness but i aint half getting pins and needles alot in my toes it b*****y hurts as well

Steff - you know what we're all going to say - same as eveyone's told me - get it checked out! sounds like what Northerner was talking about.

UKJOhn says:

As Einstein says, it must vary from one PCT to another. I was refered to the podiatrist by my GP, and they send me an appointment every 3 months, they cut my toenails and check all parts of the feet each visit.

John, I vaguely remeber you saying you were retired and I think you are also entitiled to this after a certain age?

Last edited:

I had something smilar on my hand (though it was extremely itchy at times) and it turned out to be contact dermatitis which cleared up in a few days with cream.

As everyone has said, though, get it checked out.

Thanks all for your advice - will get it checked out.

Get your feet checked. Go to the docotr, go to A&E, but get them checked. When I had very painful feet, I was in too much pain to wait for a docs appointment so went to the hospital and they diagnosed celulitis, which was sorted by antibiotics.

I was able to self refer to a podiatrist but believe it varies from one health area to another. I still have to persuade them I want an annual diabetic foot check.

Another sugestion is to think about the shoes and socks you are wearing. If they are not big emough or crunch your toes up too much it will have an effect on your feet.

Thanks Caroline. Hope your feet are OK now. I have no pain, but will go to GP. Thanks to my Mum's insitence on 'sensible shoes' when I was a child, and my own desire for comfort, my feet are generally in very good condition for my age - no bunions, etc, just dry skin. I wear mainly flat shoes which are wide enough or sandals. I also use proper running shoes (and socks) for running and walking, and cotton socks. 🙂

I have pins and needles plus numbness in heels and a few toes. The Podiatrist diagnosed Neuropathy. I was put on some meds, but they were not suitable with my Glaucoma. I'm now on 100mg of Pregabalin (Lyrica). Has anyone had these meds. I would appreciate any feedback, as it makes me drowsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back