Numb hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

glodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Not sure if this is related to my diabetes, but lately I've been getting worsening numbness and stiffness in my hands and arms. This is particularly bad in the morning when I wake up. I have had pain and numbness holding a spoon or knife, or a pen in the early part of the day. It gets better as the day goes on, but the stiffness remains. Its a bit of a worry. Could it be neuropathy? Has anyone had this problem?
Glodee

I wouldn't like to say glodee, I haven't had anything like that myself - I think you should get straight on to your doctor as soon as you can. Hope it's something transient.

I have these symptoms,mine generally start with pins and needles and if i keep trying to use my hands numbness starts,for example writing or eating,i have to put the pen or knife and fork down and shake my hands.The Dr told me it was neuropathy and has prescribed me AMITRYPTILINE.He started me off on 10 mgs and im now on 100mgs,they do work well but seem to wear off after around 12 hours,this is why the dose is being hired.

Not sure if this is related to my diabetes, but lately I've been getting worsening numbness and stiffness in my hands and arms. This is particularly bad in the morning when I wake up. I have had pain and numbness holding a spoon or knife, or a pen in the early part of the day. It gets better as the day goes on, but the stiffness remains. Its a bit of a worry. Could it be neuropathy? Has anyone had this problem?
Glodee

Could be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which can be a complication of diabetes. The nerves etc going to the thumb and first two fingers pass through a sheath in the wrist which can be narrowed/tightened by high bgs. particularly so in the dominant hand and especially in the morning since we mostly sleep with hands slightly flexed.
A simple snip of the sheath mostly solves it.

It could be a number of things, including the way you have slept. carpel tunnel syndrome has been mentioned, also a symptom of arthritis (hubby has osteo arthritis), so it is worth getting checked out by the doc to rule everything out.

I had the same symptoms and mine turned out to be carpel tunnel. It is easily diagnosed with simple painless nerve tests. Since I had both hands operated on I have been fine. Mention your symptoms to your team asap and they will know which way to proceed.

hi there

I too get pins and needles in my hands, fingers and feet, especially in the morning, i also have heavy bouts of nausea and occasional dizziness, i have read what everyone has said and already have an appointment with my gp for something else, on wednesday so i will ask her advise.
although if it turns out to be neuropathy they will have to be careful what they prescribe, as i am also on epileptic drugs.

I have major problems with grip and walking is sometimes really slow as i get pain in most areas of my body i also have a lot of cracking of joints when i stand or walk.

i hope you get yours sorted and thankyou for the post as it has now urged me to seek advice too

angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back