Nueropathy

wnek

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello,

My question is with nueropathy symptom always consist of tingling and burning sensation.
I ask because Ive not had this symptons, mine is pain of the balls of feet and knees, though the Doctor and Nurse are adamant that it is diabetes nueropathy. The pain is worst at night , I find a hot water bottle , even during the summer helps as my feet feel cold.

Hello,

My question is with nueropathy symptom always consist of tingling and burning sensation.
I ask because Ive not had this symptons, mine is pain of the balls of feet and knees, though the Doctor and Nurse are adamant that it is diabetes nueropathy. The pain is worst at night , I find a hot water bottle , even during the summer helps as my feet feel cold.
I think the symptoms can be very varied in different people. But commonly
The main symptoms of peripheral neuropathy can include:
numbness and tingling in the feet or hands
burning, stabbing or shooting pain in affected areas
loss of balance and co-ordination
muscle weakness, especially in the feet

There are various medications and treatments that can help.

Thanks for your comments, as I mentioned it is mainly at night , during the day it eases , in fact walk regularly over 2 miles average a day without problem. Though once stopping and resting the balls of my toes feel hard with mild pain.
Ive not had shooting pains, tingingly, stabbing, loss of balance, co-ordination, or muscle weakness. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with gout in my knees, this has since stopped.

What medications and treatments are available, my doctor and nurse say its all part if the diabetes.

Thanks for your comments, as I mentioned it is mainly at night , during the day it eases , in fact walk regularly over 2 miles average a day without problem. Though once stopping and resting the balls of my toes feel hard with mild pain.
Ive not had shooting pains, tingingly, stabbing, loss of balance, co-ordination, or muscle weakness. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with gout in my knees, this has since stopped.
Make sure your shoes are comfortable as that can make a big difference.

Make sure your shoes are comfortable as that can make a big difference.
My shoes are perfectly comfortable otherwise I wouldnt be able to walk as much as 5 miles on some days.

None of this makes sense

I have felt pins and needles in my heels just a few days ago. I'm panicking a lot. I do have osteoarthritis in both knees too. My sugar could be better but it's not horrendous. I am confused too. Pins and needles have gone!!!! Just have an odd sensation on the soles of my feet

Hi @wnek - i have neuropathy in my face and neck. It has been getting more pronounced and extensive over the years. The intensity comes and goes in the short term with no apparent pattern. At its worst it is becoming debilitating.

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to neuropathy just about everything is guess work. The tests that can be done (nerve conduction tests and MRI scans) are crude and blunt. I have had all done and nothing has been seen that could account for my neuropathy. If it were due to something big - stroke, brain tumour gross deterioration of the nervous system - then the tests are likely to have seen something. They have not, so I can take some solace from that. The neurologist, not a natural guesser, will not give a diagnosis and says that a root cause for my neuropathy might never be found.

Your GP/DN might be adamant that your neuropathy is diabetes related but you have to bear in mind that it is a guess. They may be good guessers and be right, but it is nevertheless a guess.

I have tried all the medications approved for neuropathic pain. None have had any effect on the neuropathy. The last thing the neurologist suggested was to take pregabalin and try and get to near maximum recommended doses by building up the dose up very slowly. I have just tried that getting to half max dose in 4 months but the side effects - basically addling your brain - were too much and I have come off it. My GP, who is being very helpful, has suggested some off-licence drugs and I am tying some of those in combination with low dose pregabalin. I have no real confidence that anything will work.

Sorry to be a bit downbeat on the subject but that has been my neuropathy story over the last 12 years or so. I have just learned to live with it.

Hi @wnek - i have neuropathy in my face and neck. It has been getting more pronounced and extensive over the years. The intensity comes and goes in the short term with no apparent pattern. At its worst it is becoming debilitating.

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to neuropathy just about everything is guess work. The tests that can be done (nerve conduction tests and MRI scans) are crude and blunt. I have had all done and nothing has been seen that could account for my neuropathy. If it were due to something big - stroke, brain tumour gross deterioration of the nervous system - then the tests are likely to have seen something. They have not, so I can take some solace from that. The neurologist, not a natural guesser, will not give a diagnosis and says that a root cause for my neuropathy might never be found.

Your GP/DN might be adamant that your neuropathy is diabetes related but you have to bear in mind that it is a guess. They may be good guessers and be right, but it is nevertheless a guess.

I have tried all the medications approved for neuropathic pain. None have had any effect on the neuropathy. The last thing the neurologist suggested was to take pregabalin and try and get to near maximum recommended doses by building up the dose up very slowly. I have just tried that getting to half max dose in 4 months but the side effects - basically addling your brain - were too much and I have come off it. My GP, who is being very helpful, has suggested some off-licence drugs and I am tying some of those in combination with low dose pregabalin. I have no real confidence that anything will work.

Sorry to be a bit downbeat on the subject but that has been my neuropathy story over the last 12 years or so. I have just learned to live with it.
Sorry to hear of your problems, I know its been 12 years, I do hope it eases soon.

Sorry to hear about your painful feet and knees @wnek

Neuropathy is and the pain/sensations involved are often more pronounced at night.

How are your pulses and the sensations in your feet generally? Do you get your annual ‘toe tickle’ (filament check)?

Cold feet may also be connected to reduced circulation, which can come along with diabetes for some people.

Hope you find some treatment options to reduce your discomfort. Great that you are still able to walk such good distances - keep that up!

Pulses dont know what they mean, the sensation I have is sometimes a hard feeling in the balls of my toes.
Toe tickle what's that, supposed to see the doctor once about 3 month for a blood hba1c test , which I do miss I decide if I'm going give blood, in 2 years Ive had 3 test, last was in April and was 97.

Hello,

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to circulation problems (Cold feet, but this is also a symptom of neuropathy) and also electrolyte imbalances, which can cause pains in muscles. In my case, I had terrible pains at night that would go away as soon as I walked around. I could see muscles twitching. It all went away a few weeks after I got blood glucose under control.

How are your pulses and the sensations in your feet generally? Do you get your annual ‘toe tickle’ (filament check)?

Pulses dont know what they mean, the sensation I have is sometimes a hard feeling in the balls of my toes.
Toe tickle what's that, supposed to see the doctor once about 3 month for a blood hba1c test , which I do miss I decide if I'm going give blood, in 2 years Ive had 3 test, last was in April and was 97.

Apologies @wnek Those were my slightly light-hearted terms.

Every year you should get an annual diabetes review, and ideally that would include a brief physical examination of your lower legs and feet to feel the strength of the pulses in your legs and also to use a fine filament like a piece of fishing line to see if your feel are still sensitive to gentle touches.

Have you ever had these checks done?

Everydayupsanddowns,

Was diagnosed Dec 22 with hb1c at 143,
Started treatment Jan 23, only had 3 hba1c tests since ,might another next month.
Apart being on metformin for 8 month I stopped for 3 month and on glicazide for last 7month.
Thats it no other tests, oh apart eye test, I don't like or trust Doctors so only see em when feel.
Not a regular taker of medications either.
I think I have gout but doctor has it as nueropathy.

After the first AZ Covid jab my lower legs and feet were swollen, and so painful. Never felt anything like it even giving birth.
My father's family were nurses midwives and herbalists, and they put great store by massage, being credited for saving limbs, feet, hands and fingers - they were common injuries in South Yorkshire. I massaged my legs pushing blood down arteries and up veins - I did CNAA Biology and have BSc from the Open University and when I could walk and stand under the shower I used hot and cold water to help.
I have needed several courses of antibiotics at intervals since then, as I can get cellulitis. I thought it was gout at first, but managed to get to the clinic that time and the GP said cellulitis.
At first I put layer after layer of foam insoles in my sandals to cushion my feet at the first sign of a problem, and now I have some lambskin ones over an inch thickness of fleece which help a lot.
My feet and legs look pretty normal now, but I thought I was in deep trouble when it first flared up. If I notice any swelling I start massaging at once. It actually doesn't take much effort these days to get the blood moving and my feet deflate.

Back