Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodgearing

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed T2 back in July.
I have religously stuck to what I was told to do.
Eat a sensible diet exercise more (lose weight)
Prick and test before each meal
My diet has changed considerably
I walk 5 miles a day sometimes more plus do lots of active stuff.
Prick and test as told to do.
The results 10 weeks later is a loss of one and a half stones
Prick and test results below 10 in fact the last week I have been 9.?? before brekky and between 6 and 7 before evening (tea time dinner)
I have been told to aim for a prick and test result of below 10 and an optimum of between 5 and 8.
I am just about achieving that. I have a blood test in about three weeks time.
So what if I get to a prick and test of 5?
Or god forbid below 5?
Do I go for a night out of six pints of Doombar and fish and chips?
Isn't it dangerous to go to low?

Below 5 isn't too low. If you aren't on any medication and have eaten some carbohydrates in the past day for your liver to have glycogen stored, it will release some if your blood sugar drops too low.

Generally most Type 2 diabetics are asked to aim for between 4-7 on waking, which is what most non-diabetics are. But even non- diabetics will occasionally dip below 4. The big worries about dipping below 4 are for those on insulin or other medications that can directly cause hypos, and where the blood sugar may continue to drop if carbohydrate intake doesn't prevent that

So what if I get to a prick and test of 5?
Or god forbid below 5?
Don't worry about going low. It's normal for people without diabetes to go a bit below 5 sometimes, and you're not taking any medication which might cause that more often. (The worry is for people on insulin or some other medications which can take us too low.)

Don't worry about going low. It's normal for people without diabetes to go a bit below 5 sometimes, and you're not taking any medication which might cause that more often. (The worry is for people on insulin or some other medications which can take us too low.)
I am on the dreaded Metformin 4 a day two morning two evening

Metformin can't cause hypos, or so the nurses I work with tell me. I'm generally around 4, still doing low carb, still on 1 x metformin per day and maintaining good glucose and weight levels.
By all means enjoy a few pints of Doom Bar and fish and chips, we all need an occasional treat!
I'm in Alsace at the moment so am pigging out on croissants and french bread and butter. Working on the basis that the butter will reduce the spike (makes me feel a bit better about being a wee piggy!)
Keep up the good work 🙂

I am on the dreaded Metformin 4 a day two morning two evening
You are lucky not to be reacting to the Metformin in the way many do - it almost turned me inside out, but you are most unlikely to go low on it. Metformin doesn't work like that.

Yes, no need to panic. Sounds like your doing well. Bravo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back