Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Morning everyone,

Just a quick query. It took me 3 hours to get a new box of insulin from the docs fridge to my fridge this time after I picked it up. Usually it's only 15 mins at the most. Will it be ok?

Morning everyone,

Just a quick query. It took me 3 hours to get a new box of insulin from the docs fridge to my fridge this time after I picked it up. Usually it's only 15 mins at the most. Will it be ok?
It’ll be fine, especially at this time of year where nowhere is actually very warm!

Morning everyone,

Absolutely, definitely.
When I go away, insulin can be out of the fridge for days and is unharmed.

Out of interest, are you keeping in use insulin in fridge? There is no need and cold insulin may sting more when you inject.

Absolutely, definitely.

Out of interest, are you keeping in use insulin in fridge? There is no need and cold insulin may sting more when you inject.

Absolutely, definitely.

Oh great, was having a mini panic lol. no not keeping my in use in the fridge. Just the rest of the box not in use. . Thanks

So long as it doesn’t take more than a month to get from pharmacy fridge to your fridge it’s fine

So long as it doesn’t take more than a month to get from pharmacy fridge to your fridge it’s fine
This is the BEST answer.

There is unnecessary anxiety about putting insulin in the fridge "as soon as possible" whereas it is pretty robust and, as you say, can survive out of the fridge for a month, especially in this chilly weather.

On behalf of everyone with "insulin longevity anxiety", thank you for putting it so clear and succinctly.

I lived in Kidderminster and worked in Birmingham city centre, I therefore used to take my prescriptions into Boots one lunchtime (12 til 1) and pick them up the next day, so in my bag under my desk all afternoon, left just after 5 , walked to station and got train back to K, then walked from K station to our house arr c.18.45 - so been out of the fridge getting on for 7 hours by then.

Oh look, I'm still alive!

In the height of summer I take an insulated cool bag, just in case. But generally it'll be fine. Just don't leave it for an hour in a hot car, for example.

In the height of summer I take an insulated cool bag, just in case. But generally it'll be fine. Just don't leave it for an hour in a hot car, for example.
I left my insulin 8n it's cool pack on my desk Infront of a window beaming very hot sun through it. It was very warm when I realised what I did. I didn't dare use it after that and got a new pen out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back