Novopen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I was just wondering:

How long do your novopens last? C had her novopen3 for about 18 months now. It still works, but it's looking a bit battered. Her second one she's had for nearly a year. The second one is a bit newer, because C wouldn't do her own injections until last summer and her DSN thought that the novopen4 would help her, so she gave her one of those. Now she has 6 pens, as she used to use 3 different insulins at one point. So she had 3 pens to use and 3 spares. Now she has 4 spares (one of them being a DEMI, which we didn't want 😉) and 2 to use 🙂

I've been using the same novopen since I was diagnosed 23 months ago. I have a spare in case of problems. It doesn't show any signs of needing replacing yet 🙂

i've had mine for a good few years now! i'm hoping to get my hands on a novopen4 (i currently have the 3) and a demi pen - my DSN refuses to give me a demi pen so i'm trying to work out how to get my hands on one!

i've had mine for a good few years now! i'm hoping to get my hands on a novopen4 (i currently have the 3) and a demi pen - my DSN refuses to give me a demi pen so i'm trying to work out how to get my hands on one!

You could ask your doctor for one on prescription 🙂 Why is your DSN opposed to one?

You could ask your doctor for one on prescription 🙂 Why is your DSN opposed to one?

she's the kind of DSN that makes you want to bang your head against a brick wall. she said until i revised my DAFNE course (which i have done) she would not be prepared to talk about it.

my next questions is if i'm steady in the 5s or 6s, and i've eaten 25g carbs, do i round up or down, nursey??? she annoys me no end! :(

She sounds very unhelpful!

Just ask your GP for one then, I got a NovoPen junior from my GP... he's not that clued up about diabetes and so just pulls up the screen and lets me tell him what I want! I even asked for a green one so I could tell my two insulins apart!

Shiv, I had the last nurse before i moved who said she'd look into it, then new nurse also said the same, I gave up! with every repeat I left a note either hand written or with online repeats saying I want a demi pen here is the pip code, after third attempt I left a note saying "if you are not allowing me to have said pen please let me know" I got a phone call saying they will try and sort it out, and they did!

thanks guys - i need to put in a repeat this week so i'll try and get it added on. my GP (who is not always the guy i see, not that i actually go into see anyone very often) is very type-1 friendly and i doubt he'll have a problem with it. i just feel that it would give me greater control, y'know?

why didn't i think of asking before? le sigh. thanks all!

I have 3 pens.
I have two nice new Novopen 4!!! They are so much smoother 🙂 and the new cases for them are loads better than those silly boxes.
But i didnt get to pick colours.
I have a spare novo3 thats red and blue.
I only replaced my novo3s because the numbers had faded.
This is my 4th year with diabetes so id say mine lasted 3 and a half years, the one i used for novorapid didnt last as long but it was being used more than the insulatard.
xx

I use a novajunior pen (im presuming the same as the demi?) its the half unit one.
I use them both at same time, normally as one is running out, i load up the other one, as i found that unlike the pre loaded pens, you cant tell the exact amount of units left in the pen. >.<

Both not quite a year old, and still all shiney! 🙂

I have a Novopen Demi which I have been using since last November. The marker at the top to show how much insulin you have dialed up fell off within 2 or 3 days, and the paint is chipping off (and has been for a while). :(

I took it to the pharmacist (last November) to let her see it and she phoned the company and told me they had said I should be more careful, and that I could always stick the marker on with sellotape! 😡 (I wouldn't mind but I always keep it in a Frio wallet and have never had this problem before in 35 years of using insulin!)

Mine lasted for 4 years! Much prefer disposable ones now 🙂

Is it one of these? This is quite an old picture so I don't know if it's been updated!

InsulinPen001.jpg

I am on my 2nd novopen demi, the first started leaking so got a replacement and I must have had it around 18 months or so now.
I wish they would bring out the novopen4 that does half units.

Mine lasted for 4 years! Much prefer disposable ones now 🙂

ooh really? i use the novopen like the one in the picture above. i forgot on a day trip a few weeks ago and had to buy a Flexpen and i hated it! they feel so tacky, to me. but if you prefer them, then good!

I'd love a demi pen, asking the doc on friday 😎

I hate the disposable pens, they feel cheap and tacky

I like the Flexipen because it's much easier to just be able to throw it away when done. I admit mine do feel flimsy at times but I wouldn't be without them now 🙂

Is it one of these? This is quite an old picture so I don't know if it's been updated!

InsulinPen001.jpg

Yes, the oldest one is one of those in RED for danger, Novorapid 😉. I'd love for C to have a Novopen4 for her Novorapid too, but they don't come in red, only blue and silver. She has the silver one for her Levemir.

C used to use the Flexpen when she was on Novomix. I didn't like them much, they seemed a bit difficult to push down.

I am on my 2nd novopen demi, the first started leaking so got a replacement and I must have had it around 18 months or so now.
I wish they would bring out the novopen4 that does half units.

Try asking your DSN for a nova junior pen. That does have units, i have 2.
Comes in blue with orange pattern and blue with green pattern.

Looks like these actually
http://www.novonordiskcare.com/novopen-junior/

I have a novopen 4 and I love it!!! So much easier to use 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back