Novo Nordisk passes single-dose oral insulin Phase I Read more: Novo Nordisk passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Novo Nordisk ($NVO) completed a Phase I single-dose trial of its oral insulin drug, adding Novo to a short list of companies in the running to have the first version of the diabetes pill on the U.S. market.

The Danish company, partnered with Ireland's Merrion Pharmaceuticals, tested the effectiveness and safety of their drug, NN1954, which is designed to be a long-lasting insulin-delivery platform that a patient can take in pill form to treat Type 2 diabetes, according to U.S. regulators.

Oral insulin has been a "holy grail" of sorts among diabetic treatments, both for its potential value as a desirable alternative to frequent injections and also for the difficulty in overcoming its delivery obstacles. As a large protein, unprotected insulin is digested in the gut rather than absorbed as a useful compound, and overcoming this has been problematic.

http://www.fiercedrugdelivery.com/s...s-single-dose-oral-insulin-phase-i/2013-03-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back